Author Topic: Lincoln buzz box as transformer  (Read 3688 times)

DualFuel

Lincoln buzz box as transformer
« on: December 02, 2018, 11:58:54 AM »
I have this crazy idea to use my Lincoln ac arc welder as a transformer for making a battery charger. At 220vac it outputs 28vac, so the idea would be to push 110vac in, to get 14vac out. Then I was thinking of using the big rectifier I have to make DC. I am looking for a robust charger idea...
DF

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Lincoln buzz box as transformer
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 02:29:55 PM »
Remember when you rectify your output voltage will be 1.4 times higher from a bridge rectifier... since you did't mention rectifier style just tossing that out there...

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 02:34:56 PM »
I think that by the time you come up with a suitable rectifier and charge controller you would have spent as much money as you would have top buy a Schumacher 30/60-300 plus it would also give you 6V charging option. But that is just my opinion.
 Almost and transformer or electrical device with an out put can be turned into a battery charger if one have the patience I heard of a guy once using a toaster to charge a battery 
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 06:17:58 PM »
This diode I use in some applications I forgot the amp rating on this thing.

11554-0

tanner0441

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
Hi

You will need 4 of those diodes for a bridge and 2 of them should be reversed polarity if you don't want to put them on separate heat sinks.  Unless your welder has a center tap for bi-phase rectification.

I would think a dedicated charger with everything done for you in a single box with a meter on the front.  Having said that I did put enough into a truck battery to start it with a TIG welder but that was already DC.... 28V off load

Brian

DualFuel

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 12:08:21 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the nice responses.
If I go through the trouble of dragging that welder over to the bank, I will not worry about charge control. The big fear would be cooking diodes.
The thing I have learned about charging big banks, is that while they are down, they dictate the voltage.
I would only be using the welder for bulk charging. Let's say, up to 14vdc.
I may yet get that idea in motion. Mostly I mentioned it was to stir the pot, and make everyone realize I am still here.... :)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 07:59:36 PM »
I just dug threw my email I thought it was 150amp

150A NEGATIVE STUD MOUNT DIODE 150AMP 800V 150A

I used this diode in a 12volt circuit as transient catch

There should be enough there to get one, heres what I paid

PAID : $40.00 with Paypal

edit

Just one other thing, you can get this same type of diode as positive stud which may help with the heatsink use
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:21:20 PM by JW »

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 08:41:56 PM »
 If 1 is not enough to handle the amps then parallel 2 , 3 or a dozen together.my old Hobart 400 amp Diesel welder had 12 of them  mounted on a single 1/4" thick aluminum plate
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 07:27:27 AM »
I've don that, but it was a gas powered dc welder so I just hooked it up to the batts.

Good cooling and close monitoring of the Xformer I can't see any issues
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!