Author Topic: Axial flux generators in series  (Read 1057 times)

dhelms913

Axial flux generators in series
« on: May 29, 2019, 10:00:54 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum.  Does anyone have a diagram of how to wire 3 phase axial flux generators in series?

dhelms913

Re: Axial flux generators in series
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 11:10:48 PM »
I'm talking about connecting multiple generators together in series to charge one battery bank.  I understand how to wire the stater, but thanks for the reply.

joestue

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 01:13:11 AM »
you can either put them in series after the rectifier or you can connect the phases together in series if the alternators are on the same shaft.

My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 05:57:28 PM by JW »

MagnetJuice

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 08:08:42 PM »
Hi dhelms913, welcome to the Forum.

Can you give us a little more information as to what it is that you are trying to accomplish?

If you can do that, that will encourage other members to participate and start a discussion. That will increase the chances of you getting a good answer to your question and will also help all of us to learn together.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 04:22:03 AM »
Connecting of the generators in series before the rectifier is a tricky methode. Assume that the three phases of generator 1 are called U1, V1 and W1 and that the three phases of generator 2 are called U2, V2 and W2. Assume that every phase generates a sinusoidal fluctuation of the voltage. So the voltage has a maximum at a phase angle alfa = 90° and miniumum at alfa = 270°. Assume that both generators are identical and that they are mounted on the same shaft. This must be done such that a positive voltage peak in phase U1 corresponds to a positive voltage peak in phase U2. This is realised if the north poles of generator 1 are in line with the north poles of generator 2 and if the coils U1 are in line with the coils U2. Only if this is the case, both phases U of the two generators can be connected in series resulting in doubling of the voltage. If the positive voltage peak of phase U1 would correspond to a negative voltage peak of phase U2, the final voltage will be zero. Any of the three phases can be called phase U if both generators are identical.

If each generator is rectified using a 3-phase rectifier, one can connect the DC currents in series but it must be done such that both currents have the same direction. For connecting of the generators after the rectifier it isn't necessary that the north poles and the coils of both generators are in line. However, a rectified 3-phase current has a small fluctuation of the voltage (see figure 9 in my public report KD 340) and the magnets and coils can be positioned such that the fluctuation of one generator is partially neutralised by the fluctuation of the other generator (if there is a phase shift of 30°).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 05:26:45 AM by Adriaan Kragten »