Miscellaneous > Fabrication

duplicate small metal pieces

<< < (2/3) > >>

JW:
I have heard of quenching with used motor oil since it is carbon rich. Or will this cause a fire.

JW:
I want point out something, the oil will not catch fire until it reaches it flash point.

What to notice is the oil is like 100f it there can be quenching and wont ignite till the flash point is reached.

So the oil can be at 200f, still wont ignite because its not at its flash point which is about 550f

This also gives some interesting options for hardening flexibility...

SparWeb:
Clockman,
Thank you for that!

JW,
Not all oils are the same - especially used motor oil that can have all kinds of crud in it that's more flammable than the original oil.  You would probably do better with high-viscosity transmission/gear oil.  Based on the assumption that low-viscosity oils have shorter molecule "chains" which have a lower flash point.  Check my facts on this before you try it, though.

Also, you probably know this already, but I had to be told - when putting the part into the bath it's gotta go in straight, or in some way that it won't warp as one side is cooling before the other side.

joestue:
a friend of mine quenches 5160 and 1095 in peanut oil. preheat the peanut oil btw.

i would not quench in cold gear oil, for various reasons. as for the oil catching fire.. it isn't a big deal, just anticipate it.

JW:
I did a bit of research and ATF is a comenly used for heat treating metal. Never heard that before.

I had to learn this the hard way(flash point etc) I need heat transfer fluid to the engine I have, I commonly heated the fluid to about 450f. I remember the tech support guy told me make your heater exchangers see 4 gpm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version