Author Topic: H-Darreius wind turbines ( VAWT ) !  (Read 76380 times)

topspeed

Re: H-Darreius wind turbines ( VAWT ) !
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2022, 12:48:49 PM »
I'm with MattM on this one!
Check the engine numbers, see if it's a 4-bolt main style, if there's no tick tick tick when you rev-up the the engine then you're pretty much assured it's okay.

What sized V-8? small block of big block?

My 1970 Chevy Impala lasted through 201K small block 350 4-bolt main with a 4-barrel carb (4-barrels actually got better mileage due to small primaries).

Cheers
Bruce S

5.7 litre...1989 model.
These wind turbines must for that reason in a deeper sense be of a timeless beauty, so that they do not in three or four decades hence burden a later generation with a heavy task of removing angular skeletons.....

Ulrich Hütter

Aerodynamics is highly educated guessing, worked out to 5 decimals

topspeed

« Reply #232 on: August 17, 2022, 01:05:39 PM »
Ok folks !

I was able to run my test turbine no 4 today in Lappland...on the coast...of Bothnic sea in the parish of Simo.

All the lights were burning brightly at average 4-5 m/s wind. But it kept rotating even at 3 m/s wind...with less bright halogens lights.

This was a big relief to me as I wasn't sure if all my corrections were succesfull...but they were.

The owner of the property helped me to rise the tower as it would have been impossible other wise.
These wind turbines must for that reason in a deeper sense be of a timeless beauty, so that they do not in three or four decades hence burden a later generation with a heavy task of removing angular skeletons.....

Ulrich Hütter

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #233 on: August 17, 2022, 03:05:19 PM »
sounds like some congratulations are in order

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2022, 03:26:24 AM »
Well done!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

topspeed

« Reply #235 on: August 19, 2022, 05:29:05 PM »
Yes folks...thank you.

The tower needs reinforcing again.

14967-0

Ulrich Hütter

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #236 on: August 19, 2022, 05:43:24 PM »
Ya im impressed with this.  https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,150469.msg1060275.html#msg1060275
I have a seat on Solidworks 2016. nice....

topspeed

« Reply #237 on: August 19, 2022, 05:46:10 PM »
Ya im impressed with this.  https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,150469.msg1060275.html#msg1060275
I have a seat on Solidworks 2016. nice....

It is impressive.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 06:28:46 PM by topspeed »

Ulrich Hütter

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2022, 12:00:34 AM »
Bravo!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

topspeed

« Reply #239 on: September 03, 2022, 01:19:05 AM »
Yes I was able to pinpoint, after what I saw, few defects in the system.

Those are now fixed.

Now I am going to go test it again.

Tower had 2 weak points....those are now ok.

Wings had some flaws too..that has been taken care of as well.

14994-0

Ulrich Hütter

MattM

« Reply #240 on: September 03, 2022, 03:26:10 PM »
Heavy duty like a boat anchor.  O0

topspeed

« Reply #241 on: September 06, 2022, 01:25:43 AM »
Heavy duty like a boat anchor.  O0

Yes...and I have to use it now on revitalized 3rd prototype since I was able to destroy the 4th prototype on the second test attempt.

I really blew it...I forgot to connect the electrical wires from the generator in a hurry in a high wind. It needs no bigger mistake.

Run away event taught me a lot and wings are still repairable, but the torque arms were broken on two places...broken loose.

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #242 on: September 07, 2022, 04:49:05 AM »
Looks very innocent from afar.

Ulrich Hütter

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #243 on: September 07, 2022, 09:20:44 AM »
ouch . you testing your machine away from home so your not able to give a secure base.   i think you need to drive some some steel rods into the ground and attach your support to them. maybe a flat plate on the end of those legs with bags of sand or concrete blocks. don't  lose heart.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #244 on: September 07, 2022, 01:41:58 PM »
ouch . you testing your machine away from home so your not able to give a secure base.   i think you need to drive some some steel rods into the ground and attach your support to them. maybe a flat plate on the end of those legs with bags of sand or concrete blocks. don't  lose heart.

I had a 10' satellite dish  way back when when C band TV was a thing. I had it mounted on crisscross 6x6 timbers with a pile of concrete blocks out at each end. Survived 80mph winds! And a 10' dish is a LOT of wind load!

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #245 on: September 07, 2022, 08:54:08 PM »
Sorry to see it slammed over!

Can you pound some pickets into the earth to secure the legs?
Something stronger than tent pegs.
This assumes it's not a rocky shore!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

topspeed

« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2022, 02:19:24 AM »

Problem was that there were steel rods...but as I knew there is no way to stop it as I only had shortcut brake I tried to haul it in to the forest, but as it was arduous I tried to get a long branch from the forest to stop it somehow...and as the tower seemed to do ok without the  rods...I went to get the branch...and as I came back close to the system it decided to fall.

I missed the ferry back home and I have to overnight in the island.

Ulrich Hütter

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #247 on: September 08, 2022, 10:04:46 AM »
"I missed the ferry back home and I have to overnight in the island."
i hope you brought some snacks for you surprise camping expedition.

would the owner of the property allow you to construct a secure  base of some kind that your mill could lock into ?
so you don't have to transport, construct and tear down every time?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #248 on: September 08, 2022, 02:21:09 PM »
Screw in anchors and ratchet straps. They come in all kinds of sizes... in that loose sand the bigger the vanes the better and they are easy to remove and do minimal damage to vegetation.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2022, 02:45:44 PM »
something i have been considering  as far as a strong base . your testing area is very close to the sea. consider bringing empty plastic vessels along with you. as many as is required
when you set up the mill you could fill the vessels with sea water as a weight against the wind up ending your machine . when you finish the test you could just empty the plastic vessels and take them home .

topspeed

« Reply #250 on: September 09, 2022, 03:08:23 AM »
"I missed the ferry back home and I have to overnight in the island."
i hope you brought some snacks for you surprise camping expedition.

would the owner of the property allow you to construct a secure  base of some kind that your mill could lock into ?
so you don't have to transport, construct and tear down every time?

Yes there is also plenty of sand.

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #251 on: September 11, 2022, 11:21:33 PM »
Screw in anchors and ratchet straps. They come in all kinds of sizes... in that loose sand the bigger the vanes the better and they are easy to remove and do minimal damage to vegetation.

Those may not be so easy to implement on my system as they have to be erected rapidly for the tests.

15001-0

My failurre was to think that the H-Darrieus can be left unguarded without those spikes on the pic....in a stormy weather.

I was able to pull it up with a second prototype in 2019..in 14 m/s wind...as it had very little resistant on that day.. back then..I did put a halogen on instead it of the led light on recent tests. It did not much lesser the rpms...but some.

Ulrich Hütter

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #252 on: September 12, 2022, 12:59:33 PM »
Add a safety that holds the arms from turning until you pull it out!

topspeed

« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2022, 08:20:36 AM »
Add a safety that holds the arms from turning until you pull it out!

That is in order.

On the stiffening process of the tower I am adding a light but hopefully strong system to do it.

Ulrich Hütter

MattM

« Reply #254 on: October 02, 2022, 10:41:57 PM »
Can't wait to see your new ideas.

topspeed

« Reply #255 on: October 02, 2022, 11:25:50 PM »
15041-0

It is all crisscrossing ! ;D

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #256 on: October 04, 2022, 11:04:36 AM »
I did quick test and saw that it does rotate at 2 m/s wind, but still need a new torque arm to replace the one that broke down in the recent mishap.

15049-0

This is awesome now...no bending at the 3,5 m/s peaked wind. Old system was already bending like mad.

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #257 on: October 13, 2022, 03:28:30 AM »
Just a quick update on this.

I have started last week the new moment arm that works with the blade actuator...and now I am working on an aerodynamic fairing for the moment arm. Should be ready by tomorrow.

Small difficulties has been...burned my leg with cooking oil and two machines stopped working yesterday..or day before. Now they are all fixed and leg seems ro recover as well.

Geeeesh ! ;)

I hope to get back to operating the test rig soon.

Ulrich Hütter

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #258 on: October 13, 2022, 08:38:55 AM »
stay safe

topspeed

« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2022, 02:21:48 AM »
Yes I am trying ED1...it is getting very cold in here to test outside...took me 4 hours to set it up and 3 the next day to disassemble it.

I am getting now more rpms...but checks need to be made (8 of them). Some small anomalies occured after 5 hours of running time.

I was able to see the stars above in the island...in the city you cannot see'em.

15060-0

....and sand bags helped a lot !

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #260 on: November 06, 2022, 03:43:52 AM »
I am in process of making a three legged tower with longer aerodynamical part on top.

I run into phenomena that sorta compells me into to this route.

It is all due to aerodynamics.

Ulrich Hütter

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #261 on: November 06, 2022, 03:49:14 PM »
It is all due to aerodynamics.
What a drag.
 ;)
www.sparweb.ca

topspeed

« Reply #262 on: November 12, 2022, 01:18:44 PM »
I found this very informative: https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/14/5/2623

15072-0

The solidity plays an important role......along with the chosen airfoil.

-----

Here is the new tripod tower meterializing.

15073-1

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #263 on: November 16, 2022, 01:54:59 AM »
Here is the frame of the new fairing for the tower..stabilising the flow after the tower...for the tests.

15074-0

I am very happy I did this as the legs can be attached in hour faster than before...and the torque arm possibly 30 minutes faster than before.

This very crucial in test phase as the winter is nearing and the days are really short.

Ulrich Hütter