Author Topic: H-Darreius wind turbines ( VAWT ) !  (Read 64918 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: H-Darreius wind turbines ( VAWT ) !
« Reply #330 on: March 02, 2024, 09:54:34 AM »
Sorry, the site is still broken.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #331 on: March 02, 2024, 10:32:40 AM »
[bl[/b] b

I know

brandnewb

« Reply #332 on: March 03, 2024, 08:40:13 AM »
Sorry gang, I just can't help my self. I just need to be able to speak.

Look. Every software change/development/progress will bring inherent risks with it like unforeseen bugs or even worse.

That is why my advice is to have a proper automated test procedure in place.

Now I am not suggesting the Test Driven Development methodology as I just never felt really pleasant with that as it requires a rather lot of design up front efforts. And by the time the User expectation and Technical Design is done then the users have already changed their minds.

So I have settled down on on an agile approach in where we are quick to iterate on basis of current goals of the users that can change all the time. However make sure that an iteration never forgets to take into account which of the automated tests need to be updated this iteration or which can hold on for another cycle.

I am always open to have a one on one with someone for advice. I mean that is the least I can do for all the great support I am getting here.

topspeed

« Reply #333 on: March 05, 2024, 12:50:13 AM »

Look. Every software change/development/progress will bring inherent risks with it like unforeseen bugs or even worse.

Now I am not suggesting the Test Driven Development methodology as I just never felt really pleasant with that as it requires a rather lot of design up front efforts. And by the time the User expectation and Technical Design is done then the users have already changed their minds.

So I have settled down on on an agile approach in where we are quick to iterate on basis of current goals of the users that can change all the time. However make sure that an iteration never forgets to take into account which of the automated tests need to be updated this iteration or which can hold on for another cycle.

I am always open to have a one on one with someone for advice. I mean that is the least I can do for all the great support I am getting here.

Is it a bug or a hacker here in work ?
These wind turbines must for that reason in a deeper sense be of a timeless beauty, so that they do not in three or four decades hence burden a later generation with a heavy task of removing angular skeletons.....

Ulrich Hütter

Aerodynamics is highly educated guessing, worked out to 5 decimals

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #334 on: March 05, 2024, 09:50:01 AM »

More of a hosting "issue" that either of the other two.
Hacker would've locked all of out completely with wanting $$$.

JW is working with TechAdmin on this issue. I can see what Mary B is posting easy enough.

Hope that helps
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #335 on: March 05, 2024, 10:40:57 AM »

More of a hosting "issue" that either of the other two.
Hacker would've locked all of out completely with wanting $$$.

JW is working with TechAdmin on this issue. I can see what Mary B is posting easy enough.

Hope that helps
Bruce S

I am using an external host for my pics instead of uploading them here.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #336 on: March 05, 2024, 12:50:15 PM »
 SMF is real weird about uploading images. Remotely hosted, and any images that have already been uploaded here previously will show no problem.

topspeed

« Reply #337 on: March 06, 2024, 05:02:22 AM »
 ;)

Ok dudes and babes !

I have nothing to show (but pictures in next post), but I can update.

In order to get some kinda positive results I have gotten really serious with this turbine developemnt of mine....like dead serious. :o

New tower is being done....with lot more heavy lumber 3''x 3'' and different kind...previous was a HAWT tower.

Moment arm is a bit shorter...but almost half as thick...and totally aerodynamic.

Wings are longer but more narrow. Foil is conventional.

This is all possible because of the new wood press and revitalization of the old heavy press. I have now wood composite available that is strong as  steel ( percentage wise in weight ).

Load is higher....and wires thicker.

I need to get like 300-400 % better results to get where I wanted.

What do you think will I succeed...or fail again ? :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:13:42 AM by topspeed »
These wind turbines must for that reason in a deeper sense be of a timeless beauty, so that they do not in three or four decades hence burden a later generation with a heavy task of removing angular skeletons.....

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #338 on: March 06, 2024, 05:04:53 AM »

Ok...image tool works out fine. This is the trailing edge part of the aerodynamic fairing of the moment arm. Half way...cover is missing and most of the filling.

Here we go:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:15:00 AM by topspeed »

Ulrich Hütter

brandnewb

« Reply #339 on: March 08, 2024, 09:18:28 AM »
sweet topspeed.

I see that you and I have the same workbench :). But that is where our similarities stop I am afraid.

I can already tell you have far more craftsmanship and also some machines in the background I do not even recognize, let alone know how to operate them :)

cool stuff!!

topspeed

« Reply #340 on: March 09, 2024, 06:28:37 AM »
I have learned to use them...I sucked in wood works in school.

Driving force for me is the attempt to save the world...( for my daughter et al).

Ulrich Hütter

brandnewb

« Reply #341 on: March 09, 2024, 01:38:34 PM »
so we have more similarities after all. I am also thinking about my offspring when I keep hammering on.

topspeed

« Reply #342 on: March 09, 2024, 09:20:18 PM »
so we have more similarities after all. I am also thinking about my offspring when I keep hammering on.

I also use possibly more Cola drinks than you...as I have studied in GA Tech.

Ulrich Hütter

MattM

« Reply #343 on: March 10, 2024, 06:31:37 AM »
Are you both in Norway?

brandnewb

« Reply #344 on: March 10, 2024, 09:01:38 AM »
hahha not me at least. I am printing pullies in the NL.

And unless topspeed is out and about he is probably in Finland :)

Damned cold here too with this chilling wind in the NL. And we are already heading into spring mind you.

But the potatoes have been promoted to a spot outside non the less. I do not hope it will freeze again this season.

But I have come to learn that me complaining about my local weather is a bad idea. There are people out there far worse off then I have ever experienced.

Some parts of the US can be brutal these days (or perhaps always have been) and Finland. Well Finland I think can be brutal as well. But I heard from someone who lives there that there is almost no wind there in winter time. At least in the part where he lives. That is a bummer :(

brandnewb

« Reply #345 on: March 10, 2024, 02:17:12 PM »
hahahha Cola.

ahh Cola. Now I am not old enough to ever had the real !coca! cola. you know the one with the good stuff in it :)

Then they turned to caffeine which I only started consuming a few years ago in the form of coffee. in BULK though :)

Nah my drink of choice is a good spirit. One that gets one twirling instantly ;)

But yes sometimes I favor some cola.

---------

But then with a twist added :)

brandnewb

« Reply #346 on: March 10, 2024, 02:29:28 PM »
;)

Ok dudes and babes !

In order to get some kinda positive results I have gotten really serious with this turbine developemnt of mine....like dead serious. :o

New tower is being done....with lot more heavy lumber 3''x 3'' and different kind...previous was a HAWT tower.

Moment arm is a bit shorter...but almost half as thick...and totally aerodynamic.

This is all possible because of the new wood press and revitalization of the old heavy press. I have now wood composite available that is strong as  steel ( percentage wise in weight ).

I think you and I should collaborate!

I am not reading much outside my bubble as I have learned that leads me to posting on someone else's threads like I do now. And I have also learned that can blow up in my face so I am rather hesitant regarding that.

But I think you and I are in the same boat.
At least the same continent ;)

Would it be a stretch to use metric as a baseline?

I mean I am not trying to diss at the brothers and sisters on the correct side of the pond but I am hoping/guessing that they have a better understanding/feeling of metric than we do of imperial.

Is my assumption correct? And how would we know?

MattM

« Reply #347 on: March 10, 2024, 02:46:03 PM »
Well I guess Finland's flag is closer to his origin flag lol

I take NL to be Newfoundland?

brandnewb

« Reply #348 on: March 10, 2024, 04:16:55 PM »
Nah Brother,

The NL stands for The Netherlands. I take no pride being born in a culture that made possible a lot of things. Some of them good most of them less so.

I consider my self without a nationality.
I am a self proclaimed world citizen.

One other reason for me to hammer on about a VAWT is that one day there will be a spinning one on Bali, the paradise (in the travel brochures, the hard reality is that it is the least bad part of Indonesia if we want to use honest language), and all my contributors are invited to come and have a stay on my land there if I ever get to find a good spot.
{1}and a wind turbine makes little sense in those regions. I am not sure if it is about being at the equator but windy.com sure is not holding back on the fact that there is little wind to be had at all{/1}
{2}But even so, in Jakarta when on a roof top of my families home in a low rise urban setting I can feel enough wind that makes me want to put a VAWT there. So let us just see what happens if both topspeed's and my experiments come to fruition to make sure.{/2}
{3}I went overboard. Completely changing the topic. I am so sorry. It would be ok for mods to just delete my last post regarding my own efforts.. This topic is about topspeed's efforts{/3}
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 04:51:03 PM by brandnewb »

MattM

« Reply #349 on: March 11, 2024, 06:36:15 AM »
Topspeed has a name that truly fits his build.  Not only is he going for fast, he has regular high windspeeds to test with.  And boy does his project live up to his moniker.

Like skid's waterwheel project, I can see topspeed's design becoming a commercial endeavor.

brandnewb

« Reply #350 on: March 11, 2024, 07:27:38 AM »
@Topspeed,

If you come install it on Bali then I will be your first customer :)

But Indonesia is not know for consistent enforcement of the regulations so there might be hiccups at customs. Usually these hiccups are resolved by employing an ancient method. One that involved motivating the officer involved to play ball somehow.

topspeed

« Reply #351 on: March 14, 2024, 04:50:46 AM »
@Topspeed,

If you come install it on Bali then I will be your first customer :)

But Indonesia is not know for consistent enforcement of the regulations so there might be hiccups at customs. Usually these hiccups are resolved by employing an ancient method. One that involved motivating the officer involved to play ball somehow.

Ok I am a ball player. ;D

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #352 on: March 14, 2024, 08:04:58 AM »
hahahha Cola.

ahh Cola. Now I am not old enough to ever had the real !coca! cola. you know the one with the good stuff in it :)

Then they turned to caffeine which I only started consuming a few years ago in the form of coffee. in BULK though :)

Nah my drink of choice is a good spirit. One that gets one twirling instantly ;)

But yes sometimes I favor some cola.

---------

But then with a twist added :)

After the war people here used to pour amfetamine in their coffee...it was supposed to be envigorating.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 12:06:19 AM by topspeed »

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #353 on: March 16, 2024, 12:34:14 AM »
;)

Ok dudes and babes !

I think you and I should collaborate!

I am not reading much outside my bubble as I have learned that leads me to posting on someone else's threads like I do now. And I have also learned that can blow up in my face so I am rather hesitant regarding that.

But I think you and I are in the same boat.
At least the same continent ;)

Would it be a stretch to use metric as a baseline?

I mean I am not trying to diss at the brothers and sisters on the correct side of the pond but I am hoping/guessing that they have a better understanding/feeling of metric than we do of imperial.

Is my assumption correct? And how would we know?

Metric is just fine by me. :D

Ulrich Hütter

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #354 on: March 16, 2024, 03:42:32 AM »
Google has tools to change form one to the other...

25.4mm to the inch
2.54 cm per inch

from there it is easy to get feet...

topspeed

« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2024, 02:58:41 AM »

25.4mm to the inch
2.54 cm per inch

Yes.

I am open to all suggestios...as I was cut short here where I operate.

Ulrich Hütter

brandnewb

« Reply #356 on: March 20, 2024, 11:09:30 AM »
My suggestion is to use metric as most of the people, even those on the correct side of the pond, have a feeling with that.

For those that do not then indeed there is always google :)
However I advice against google even though I always use their search :(

https://www.omnicalculator.com/conversion/imperial-to-metric-conversion
is what I would recommend if at all trustworthy.

I for one stopped trusting their calculator regarding the VAWT configuration of the wind turbine calculator.
https://www.omnicalculator.com/ecology/wind-turbine

Ok sure, I might just not fully understood how to dial in the numbers yet but to me this is too ambiguous.

25.4mm to the inch
2.54 cm per inch

Yes.

topspeed

« Reply #357 on: March 21, 2024, 01:20:37 AM »
My suggestion is to use metric as most of the people, even those on the correct side of the pond, have a feeling with that.

For those that do not then indeed there is always google :)
However I advice against google even though I always use their search :(

https://www.omnicalculator.com/conversion/imperial-to-metric-conversion
is what I would recommend if at all trustworthy.

I for one stopped trusting their calculator regarding the VAWT configuration of the wind turbine calculator.
https://www.omnicalculator.com/ecology/wind-turbine

Ok sure, I might just not fully understood how to dial in the numbers yet but to me this is too ambiguous.

25.4mm to the inch
2.54 cm per inch

Yes.

Thanks I liked the calculators.

Ulrich Hütter

topspeed

« Reply #358 on: April 10, 2024, 01:41:59 AM »
The Idaho Black Hawk tilt rotor clocked 38%
ANEW in Poland 41,5%
And Single Wing Energy oy 40%

So the efficiency is not at 30% for VAWTs.

Ulrich Hütter

brandnewb

« Reply #359 on: April 12, 2024, 04:22:00 PM »
wow, please allow me to be soo ignorant/blunt and yet soo intrigued.

please get me up to speed? top speed even if you will :)

I would like to learn more af what it is you are talking about here.

{1}So are you somehow showing evidence of what my gut has been telling me that this omnicalulator is not entirely accurate?

My lord do I want to get to the bottom of this :){/1}

{2}when i search for The Idaho Black Hawk tilt rotor. I get cool yet non related stuff
same goes for ANEW in Poland  :(
yes Single Wing Energy oy I can find. yet now I have to plow through. hmm I really do not want to do that yet.
I am here to help and learn not to start a new study :)

Can you please help me get going?
{/2}
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 04:33:07 PM by brandnewb »

topspeed

« Reply #360 on: April 13, 2024, 12:32:27 AM »
wow, please allow me to be soo ignorant/blunt and yet soo intrigued.

please get me up to speed? top speed even if you will :)

I would like to learn more af what it is you are talking about here.

{1}So are you somehow showing evidence of what my gut has been telling me that this omnicalulator is not entirely accurate?

My lord do I want to get to the bottom of this :){/1}

{2}when i search for The Idaho Black Hawk tilt rotor. I get cool yet non related stuff
same goes for ANEW in Poland  :(
yes Single Wing Energy oy I can find. yet now I have to plow through. hmm I really do not want to do that yet.
I am here to help and learn not to start a new study :)

Can you please help me get going?
{/2}

I remember very well the 38% claim of the widely tested Black Hawk Tilt Rotor....from years back.

Chief of SWE told me they got 40% of their machine.

The ANEW is measured ( 70%) of the BETZ...so it is 41.5%(into the grid).

I also know another bankrupted firm telling 38% but only 36% when switched into campered foil.

Ulrich Hütter