Author Topic: Anyone using windmill towers?  (Read 1126 times)

makenzie71

Anyone using windmill towers?
« on: March 06, 2020, 09:24:21 PM »
I've been knocking around the idea of using one with a modified stub tower.  I saw one other person with one either here or on one of the facebook groups.  Just wondering how else you guys...who may have gone this route...have managed it.  Found a Dempster tower and head locally for pretty cheap I'm looking at going and getting this weekend.

makenzie71

Re: Anyone using windmill towers?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 12:26:06 AM »
I guess I'm committed to it now haha

https://youtu.be/dGhtykcFnlM

I'm going to extend the legs at the base about 36" and I'm going to adapt the stub tower to accept a 3" ID piece of a pipe that I can slide some of my 2 3/8" stuff in and out of.  I'll be able to get about 8ft of additional height off of that and I'll be able to winch the generator up and down for service.  Won't be so easy to lay the tower over, but won't matter much I don't think.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 09:53:29 AM »
What size dempster did you get? I have one running right now, a 6 1/2' diameter.  They are sweet, smooth water pumpers.

The towers should be plenty for your turbines up to 8' diameter. 

makenzie71

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 10:13:25 AM »
It's really hard to say...I'm super familiar with Aermotor and Fiasa but I've never seen a dempster up close.  The wheel is pretty mangled.  I would say it's a smaller mill, the motor itself looks about the size of an X702.

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 01:52:52 PM »
https://youtu.be/Kbs4BFnX3lo

I am messing around with a home made turbine on a tower made very cheaply , it's pretty strong , I have taken the base off now and I am modifying it as we , speak , it's a toy/work in progress.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »
I think the 6.5' dempster had only single bolts where the spokes bolt to the cast hub.  The 8' has double bolts where it bolts to the cast hub.