Author Topic: wind turbine tree stump installation  (Read 1560 times)

fabieville

wind turbine tree stump installation
« on: August 16, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »
I have ARI 48v 750Watt wind turbine that I am planning to mount to a tree stump in the back of my yard. I am planning to have between
15-18Ft in tower height with between 1-2ft of pipe buried in the ground and the tower will be strap to the tree stump either by using some c clamps that nail the pipe to the stump or use some large hose clamp that goes around the tower and the  entire stump. I am also planning to use some guy wires to help with the stability of the tower.

My wind turbine  without the pipe tower weighs around 35lbs. The tree stump is almost 3 feet high and is quite large in diameter/circumference. With all this information given would it be safe to install the wind turbine to the tree stump using my method(s) or are there an alternative way(s) in which i could mount it to the tree stump which would be a more suitable installation?

MagnetJuice

Re: wind turbine tree stump installation
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 09:51:22 PM »
I wouldn't want to take responsibility for an installation like that. Only you would be able to judge how safe that would be.

But if it was me, I would rent a tool and drill a hole in the center of the stump at least 24 inches deep. I would insert the pipe in the hole and then use the appropriate size of guy wires with the appropriate anchors to safely hold the pipe. Since the tower is only around 20 Ft tall, three guy wires should be enough if you use a 2 inch diameter heavy wall pipe. The main thing is to be safe.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

oneirondreamer

Re: wind turbine tree stump installation
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:31:15 PM »
Same as Ed, I'm reluctant to give advice here, with so many unknowns.    What I'd suggest is that there's may be no problem with such an installation today, the question is what will it look like in 5-10 yrs, or even 1-2years.   With that in mind, I'd suggest that the best way forward would be to cut the stump 12" or so from ground level, and mount a large plate to the top, with a set of dog ears for the bottom of a tilting tower.    If you use guy wires, as Ed suggests, then they will take almost all the lateral load, all you need to do is monitor for rot in the stump.   If that happens, pull the stump, pour some concrete and keep on going.