Remote Living > Heating

Quiet, efficient fan for off grid living

(1/3) > >>

TheCasualTraveler:
I'm setting up my power source and appliances for a houseboat in the Florida Keys. My current task is to find the most efficient and quiet fan that's practical. I currently have 600 watts of solar and a bank of 6 golf cart batteries. I have a few questions,

Is a DC motor with permanent magnets more efficient than one without, with winding's?
If a brush-less motor is usually quieter than one with brushes, can you get a combination brush-less/permanent magnet?

To give you an idea where my head is at, I'm considering everything from a 12 volt auto radiator fan (but run on 6 volts to make it quieter) or even an array of small, super quiet computer cooling fans.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce S:
I don't have a radiator fan to test with , but , since I work around broken computers  :) I have access to the 120mm x 120mm computer fans.
I've had up to 12 of these hooked up in parallel. The breeze was impressive.
I can say that you'll want to have or build a PWM to control the power. I always had to start them at 12Vdc, then PWM it down to 9Vdc.
This keeps them running nicely and doesn't suck up all the power from the 12 power source. Plus the noise is lower.
I made sure to match the current draw as closely as possible.

I may have a pic up here somewhere.

Hope this helps

Bruce S

TheCasualTraveler:
Thanks Bruce,

9 to 12 computer fans was what i was thinking for 1 option. My luck with PWM's is that they tend to make things hum BUT that doesn't matter because if I need any speed control I will simply wire it to run on either 6 or 12 volts. I use a 12 v computer fan running at 6 volts to cool one of my inverters and it is absolutely Silent and cools better than the original that came in the inverter.

JW:
I can vouch for this speed controller got good results with 12v

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-DROK-Regulator-Governor-Modulator/dp/B00DVGGWC0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

JW
-edit- dam there out of stock I have 3 of these

TheCasualTraveler:
Thanks JW but it's more than I need. 2 speeds, 6 and 12 volt is easy and sufficient.
Here's a link to the auto fan I'm considering, $24  any comments?
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Performance-Electric-Radiator-Mounting/dp/B00T3TK3EW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version