Miscellaneous > Fabrication

Duplicator

(1/2) > >>

SparWeb:
A friend of mine (Bill) was cleaning out his shop, and decided to give me his duplicator, since he knows about my wind turbine hobby addiction.
It's incomplete, and what I have needs some tuning up, but the motor's good and it's really given me a lot of ideas.

Basically, one of these: http://www.terrco.com/woodcarvers/kstar.php

There are 2 cutter heads - one on each side of the motor, 10 inches apart.  another 10 inches to one side of the cutters is a "stylus".  When you touch the stylus to the template part, the cutters can cut the same shape, making copies of the template part.

Does anyone think this might be a great idea for making WT blades??!

SparWeb:
Hmmmm.
The blades I made had a 10" chord - sloped at an angle so that the projected chord is only 8.5". 
This could easily cut copies of my spare 10' blade.

I need to make a special bed to fit these blades.  Even the "60 inch" Terrco frame can't hold a full 60 inch part.

The product data says the spindles counter-rotate - but that doesn't make sense.  Where the hell do you get left-hand cutters?

SparWeb:
Aw jeez.  You get left-hand cutters from K-star, of course!

SparWeb:
I gave it a test run tonight.

The results in the pictures speak for themselves.  I will need to change something to improve the stiffness.

The axle is the weak link.  Those set-screws have to go.  They do not positively lock the wheels to the axle.  I think I can make a big improvement there.  Several possibilities are circling around my head.  Looking at the large tube on the carriage, there isn't a strong need for the ball bearings in the ends, and there's a very big bore through that tube that's not being used.  I think I could replace those with brass bushings and get rotation just as smooth.  The ID of the brass bushing could then go from 0.75" up to 1.5 inches, so I would gain a lot of room to put in a very rigid hub attachment from wheel to axle.

The cables work fairly well to keep the wheels synchronized, so I won't abandon that design feature just yet.

Things like the balance weights and the belt cover are just little jobs to do - easily dealt with.

SparWeb:
Coming up with ways to improve the axle...
Using a taper-lock hub on a tubular axle, sized to fit inside the carriage tube. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version