Author Topic: 2-pole motor, 8 pole rotor?  (Read 2928 times)

makenzie71

2-pole motor, 8 pole rotor?
« on: November 20, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »
I'm converting a 1hp 115/230vac 3450rpm motor to a permanent magnet generator.  If I remember how to math this correctly that means this motor is a two pole motor.  I want to set the rotor up with alternating magnets every 45 degrees...essentially an 8-pole rotor.  Would that work?

bigrockcandymountain

Re: 2-pole motor, 8 pole rotor?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 11:58:06 AM »
I believe 8 pole will not work with your winding but 6 pole will.  The 8 pole has N directly opposite N, where the 6 pole has S directly opposite N like the original 2 pole. 

I don't know it is a good idea.  It seems like the poles of the windings would be too wide for very good efficiency.  Someone else who knows more will hopefully teach us both. 

makenzie71

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »
Quite rusty on this...didn't even consider the n/s bit.  Bugger.  Will make lining up my poles a little easier if that's the way I go.

My idea here was to attempt to make it produce decent output at a lower RPM.  If I stick with two poles I think it'll have to spin too fast to be wind applicable.  Might need to look for other motors.

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »
I'm converting a 1hp 115/230vac 3450rpm motor to a permanent magnet generator.  If I remember how to math this correctly that means this motor is a two pole motor.  I want to set the rotor up with alternating magnets every 45 degrees...essentially an 8-pole rotor.  Would that work?

Information about how an asynchronous motor can be changed into a PM-generator is given in my public report KD 341 which can be copied for free from my website: www.kdwindturbines.nl at the menu KD-reports.

If you want to use the original 3-phase motor winding, the pole number of the PM-armature must be identical to the pole number of the motor. So then you can only make a 2-pole armature. But if you provide the stator with a new 8-pole winding, it is possible to use the stator of a 2-pole motor for an 8-pole armature. You only get a simple 2-layers winding if the number of stator grooves is a factor three or six times the number of armature poles. So for an 8-pole armature, the stator should have 24 or 48 grooves. If the stator has 36 grooves, a winding is possible but then you will get double coils in the first layer and single coils in the second layer. A 2-layers winding is also explained in KD 341.

For most stator stampings of a certain frame size, the inside diameter of the stator increases with the pole number of the motor. The outside diameter of the stator is the same for all pole numbers of a certain frame size. The reason is that for a 2-pole motor you have only two big magnetic loops coming out of the armature and to prevent saturation of the stator stamping at the bridge in between the bottom of a stator groove and the outside of the stator, this bridge must be much wider for a 2-pole motor than for an 8-pole motor. So if you use the stator of a 2 pole motor for an 8-pole generator you have a bridge which is much too wide and so an inner diameter of the stator which is too small. This means that your armature volume is much smaller than for an 8-pole stator stamping of the same frame size. The maximum generator torque is proportional to the armature volume and so you can better use the stator stamping of an 8-pole motor if you want to make an 8-pole PM-generator. But if you accept the lower maximum torque level, it is possible to use the stator stamping of a 2-pole motor.

I use only 4-pole motors for my generators made from asynchronous motors. If you use neodymium magnets, a 4-pole armature can be made strong enough. Another advantage is that the original winding can be used for 24 V or 48 V battery charging depending on how the winding is rectified and on the diameter and design tip speed ratio of the rotor. If you use an 8-pole motor with the original winding, the voltage at a certain rotational speed will be about a factor two higher than for a 4-pole motor with the original motor winding.

To prevent a strong fluctuation of the sticking torque, the armature grooves in which the magnets are glued must have an angle such that there is just one stator pitch overlap in between the left and the right side of the armature. Use of stator stampings with four outside grooves in which small strips are laid to bind the stampings together, give four strong preference positions for a 4-pole armature but these stampings might also give eight less strong preference positions for an 8-pole armature.

makenzie71

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 04:21:34 PM »
Okay so if i stick with a two pole rotor...which would at lest let me put a lot more magnet material per pole...wouldn't my required rpm to really acheive any usable voltage be too high to even consider for a wind turbine?  I thought that was the downside of using two pole motors.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 07:46:17 PM »
It will be very high rpm to make power with only 2 poles.  What voltage are you trying to make?
It may work for 12v being a small motor and having the 230v wiring option. 

The general consensus favours the 1800 rpm 4 pole motors. 

makenzie71

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 07:55:34 PM »
I had really hoped to pull off 10-15 amps, which i simply don't think i can pull off with low turbine-esque rpm.

I'm still going to give it a go.  I've had people tell meit won't work, and i've had people tell me it will work just fine, both happily explaining why...a few even suggesting your six pole route.  Really all it takes is a couple spots of superglue to hold the magnets down long enough to see if they'll create any power.

I have a 1hp 4-pole motor but it's being saved for a more serious project...with much bigger, more expensive magnets.

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 05:04:43 AM »
Okay so if i stick with a two pole rotor...which would at lest let me put a lot more magnet material per pole...wouldn't my required rpm to really acheive any usable voltage be too high to even consider for a wind turbine?  I thought that was the downside of using two pole motors.

If you compare a 2-pole PM-generator with a 4-pole PM-generator both using the original 3-phase motor winding, the generated voltage at a certain rpm of the 2-pole generator will be a factor two lower than that of the 4-pole generator. However, this is only true if you can realize the same strong magnetic flux in the air gap in between armature and stator. For a 4-pole PM-generator it is possible to make the flux strong enough if Neodymium magnets are used (see KD 341). For a 2-pole PM-generator is will be difficult to get a total magnet area which is large enough. So the generated voltage for a 2-pole PM-generator may be more than a factor two lower than for a 4-pole PM-generator. If the generated voltage at a moderate rotational speed is still too high for 12 V or 24 V battery charging, it might be possible to reduce the voltage by a factor two by connecting the first and second layer of the standard winding in parallel in stead of in series. This procedure is also described in KD 341.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 05:52:02 AM by Adriaan Kragten »

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 08:22:17 AM »
Your plan sounds good to me.  Glue some magnets on and give it a spin test. 

makenzie71

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 08:37:40 AM »
Nope, didn't work.  Might go back and try the six pole bit, but probably just not going to spend any more time on this motor.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »
Did you do 8 poles or 2?

makenzie71

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 11:31:44 AM »
I did 8.  I might go back and try two but my magnets aren't too cooperative with that...I bought narrow ones for doing  poles and they repel each other if I put two in the same configuration in proximity.

I'm also not 100% sure I got the capicitors sorted out.  It has run and start capacitors but I don't think they would have any affect.  Tried with them in line, disconnected, and shorted...same flat line, though.

makenzie71

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 07:00:42 PM »
Okay broke all the magnets off and rearranged them into a 2-pole setup, five 10x60x3mm magnets staggered every 15mm per pole.  I would prefer more magnets but this wasn't the arrangement I bought them for and couldn't quite get them to stick without drama.

At 500 rpm, unloaded, I was running 10.8vac per leg.  I ran the three phases through a Honda CBR954RR regulator/rectifier and output, unloaded, was 20.8vdc at 2.07amps.  I ran the outputs to a 175w CREE light bar and the best reading I got was 10.4vdc and 2.08 amps.

Not pretty but seemed to do okay to give me test results:

The test confirmed it for me...if you got north on both sides it doesn't work with a 2-pole motor.  There's a reasonable chance that a 6 pole setup will work and give me a better voltage, and I'm going to give it a go, but I'm not optimistic.  I don't think my magnets are big enough.  My voltage climbed from 4vdc to 10.4vdc under load from 295rpm up to 525rpm.  I tried running it at 780rpm and it did not have a tremendous effect on voltage output...but it's possible my connections were not very solid.  I didn't want to go up any higher because the magnets were not very well affixed...I'm not permanently gluing unless I find a good arrangement that works all around.  I'm going to glue up a 6 pole rotor tonight...but my first China turbine is suppose to be here tomorrow.  I may not get back to this for a while.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 03:17:19 AM »
I've always believed that you can change the number of motor poles as long as you re-wind the stator.  If you don't want to re-wind, you should stick to the original pole count.  If you do want to re-wind (even just for practice before cracking your nicer motor open) then your pole-count can be anything you can fit between the stator teeth.  I haven't done a re-wind, though.

I converted a 2-pole 5-HP motor many years ago.  Not a success.  I packed on a lot of magnets (2" x 1" bricks) but I never got more than 300 Watts out of it.  The open-circuit voltage in Star was 16V at 100 RPM.  Everything else about the motor was crappy and cheap so I was never tempted to re-wind it.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

makenzie71

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 08:39:21 AM »
I've always believed that you can change the number of motor poles as long as you re-wind the stator.

Well you certainly can't do it by adding poles to the rotor!  8 poles on a two pole rotor completely neutralized.  6 poles at least provided alternating flux over the coils and DID produce power...2vac at 700rpm.  2 poles would have at least given me charging voltage and a couple hundred watts if maybe I had geared it up and ran 6:1 with a 4ft swept area, but that's a lot of effort and mechanical loss for low wattage.

But, just in case someone else ever gets the idea and searches this down, we can definitively say that you cannot either fool the stator into believing it has more poles than it has or that the rotor is spinning faster than it is.

I might go back at some point, for kicks, do a simplified six pole rotor, but I'm more likely to...uhhh...not lol.  The idea of rewiring an induction cage just doesn't sound fun at all.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 09:44:03 PM »
Well you certainly can't do it by adding poles to the rotor!
Not on its own, no.
The stator winding schemes have all been worked out in the past, for any given number of teeth, poles, and phases you want to have. 
If you have a rotor with X teeth, and want 3-phase and N poles, you can just look up the scheme and start making coils.
Re-winding is not for the faint of heart.  It takes planning and some tools to do it successfully - something that I haven't tried to do myself, either.
Others on Fieldlines have, and their stories are worth reading, to be sure it's something you won't do, or might do, someday.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

makenzie71

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 10:20:10 AM »
well I thought I was going to back-burner this to play with my china turbines but I forgot that when fedex says the estimated delivery date is XX it doesn't matter if the package is sitting on the floor in the distribution center four days early they said delivery date is XX and by God that's when they're going to do it...

...SO...

I busted all the epoxy and magnets off and reset the rotor back to a two pole setup, but I added two more magnets and had them set every 30 degrees.  Previously there was a gap between the poles, I tried this time to get as much magnet material on the rotor as possible.  Which was rather difficult considering how all the magnets wanted to be pulled this way or that.  I had to sit there holding the magnets to the rotor while the epoxy setup...took a long time and I glued myself to the thing a couple times.  My hope was maybe if I could gear it up 4:1 maybe I would be able to get close to 50v and 5~8 amps...there'd be some mechanical loss but I would think that a 4~5ft rotor should still be able to pull it off in our 20+ mph winds.

Got it all put back together this morning and chucked it up in the press and no voltage across any leg at any rpm.  I either got some of the magnets mixed up (I doubt) or the field is just too broad and it's overlapping like it was when I set it up with multiple poles.  I guess it's like anything else you have to build...if you aint breakin from time to time you aint making much. :D

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »
Overlapping N and S on the same stator pole.
But at least you've proved it!
Just think of the fame and the money if you had got...

Here's a trick for gluing:
www.sparweb.ca

makenzie71

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 09:11:50 PM »
Wow was that your setup?  What'd it put out?

I needed clamps but they were all the way out 8n the shop and i was lazy.  I really want to do this again with a big 4-pole and much bigger, stronger magnets.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 09:17:09 PM »
Umnn – For homebuilt wind power suddenly having neo magnet technology was revolutionary because they allowed a ‘brute force' engineering previously unobtainable in DIY flux harvesting – but umnn – 3mm thick magnets demand eloquence to finesse each watt.

You spoke about using 10x60x3mm magnets (0.394” x 2.362” x 0.118”) with a volume of 0.11 in³… and saw 21.6w work performed in the LED light bar from five magnets (0.55 in³)… So I will venture that would be 40w to 1 in³ equivalent – which pretty much rocks, may not be what you wanted but with all the compromises of winding count & AWG, air gap size, magnet backing and feeding an arbitrary load etc. that's not a bad number.

The DanBuilt 10' wind turbine (he sold) had 24in³ of N42 grade NdFeB and he advertised 1100w output at 450rpm into a battery charging scheme as a sustainable output – which is about 45w per cubic inch magnet. Yes of course he also pushed 2000w out of similar mounted to a 600RPM Lister diesel and a whole legion of variables checkering usage but…

Just saying, 22 watts of work from five skinny neo magnets ain't bad.

Of course also there are those with elephant magnets in converted 3ph motors that wanted to see 90+ watts per cubic inch. (Zubbly, RIP)

makenzie71

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 09:38:57 PM »
I had very low expectations for this and it exceeded them :D  getting usable wattage out of the cheap, skinny magnets was a success.  The whole point was just to try and see if i could pull off the 8 pole bit.

Something i'm contemplating just making a new rotor for the 4-pole motor i have.  Have a whole new one one cut from stainless.  I could go simple and just run four 1.5*1.5*4 (9ci) magnets...probably cog like a nightmare haha.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
By that standard, my 6 pole rocks.  It has 16 cu in of magnet and makes 2kw easily.  125w per cu in.   

I don't think you want a stainless rotor.  No return path for the flux. 

makenzie71

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 10:02:42 PM »
Didn't think of that, it's just the material i have on hand.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 11:59:35 PM »
Makenzie,
The rotor I did in that photo has 14 cubic inches of Neo on it.  As for output, you gotta ask how hot can it go?  I spun it up to 900 Watts but it was getting pretty warm.  I have the furling set up that it doesn't often go above 600W, except in a big gust.
It's still going, 9 years, almost constantly.  Bearings need replacement again. Will be the third set.
Click the website link in my signature line.  The notes on motor conversion there might help you.

BRCM,
More poles > much better!
www.sparweb.ca

makenzie71

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 12:05:42 AM »
Is there's a ratio somewhere that identifies how much wattage a given amount of magnet can produce?  You're saying 14 gets hot and you're producing up to 600w...what I'd like to see out of a motor like this 500.  I might focus less how cramming more volume in...what I planned out could hold nearly 36ci of magnet which I guess is a bit extreme.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 12:32:52 AM »
Lots is good
More is better
and
Too much is just enough!

We're just using rule-of-thumb stuff about making estimates.  40W per cubic inch is just sticking your thumb in the air.  Mine gets 60W/CI and that's all I needed.  If your generator makes 400 Watts and you want more, just turn it faster and it'll make 500W.
So I really did make a science project out of my motor conversions, at the time...  http://www.sparweb.ca/3_Gen_MoCo/Baldy.html
I wasn't trying put publish scientific papers, I just wanted to have a baseline of information.  And I had a lathe free to use back then... :)
www.sparweb.ca

ruddycrazy

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 04:41:54 AM »
Eh Makenzi,
                   Try putting 22 N42 16x13mm round neos on the same pole without any magnets sticking together, when I made my 4Kw motor conversion I had to that 4 times and in the end only broke one magnet out of 88. Now in order to put the stator into the 4Kw frame I have a G sized Warman bearing spindle casting and the endcap proved just large enough to put the stator thru. I did put some rubber under the endcap because as soon as the stator entered the 35Kg motor jumped up and seated the stator in position.

Doing a load test in my 100 year old lathe in 5:1 back gear at 240 rpm it cutin and the clamp meter showed 89 amps before the vfd cut out saying over current.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 07:35:24 AM »
More poles is better until you have a hernia moving it.   :o

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 07:42:32 AM »
So a given amount of magnet can make almost any power.  The limit being how fast you can spin it before something flies apart or how high a voltage you can run before the insulation fails. 

For low speed low voltage applications though...more poles = higher volts per rpm

Tighter air gap = more volts per rpm

Thicker magnets= more volts per rpm to a point.  Not sure what point.  1/2" is fairly thick for small motors. 

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 11:01:07 AM »
Let's not forget that Neo's also have a temperature limit.
The older ceramic mags did too but at a much higher temp.

Neos will begin to demagnetize around 125C , Ceramics hold up to well above 200C.

Once you start trying to up the output, cooling begins to come into play.

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

makenzie71

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 11:05:09 AM »
I've wondered that...those plastic fans on induction motors are meant to move air at 1500-3000rpm or more.  I cant see the doing much at 400rpm.