Homebrewed Electricity > Storage

Is there a simple fix for forklift battery cables?

(1/3) > >>

dnix71:
2 of our lifts have recently gotten swollen rotten knots in the cables under the insulation. I fixed one temporarily by cutting the cable flush at the post and clamping what was left with a stainless steel hose clamp. That lift is to be replaced so the temp fix is okay for another month.

The other lift I can't fix that way because of where the rot is. We have called for battery service. Seems to be a union thing here. Battery folks won't touch the lift and lift people won't touch batteries. The lift people we see each month but don't do much more than clean the lift.

Is there a proper fix for a bad cable that does not involve an acetylene torch and proprietary replacement cables?

The batteries are regular flooded lead acid in steel cases with an Anderson connector on the other end.

Mary B:
Anderson crimper, solder or hydraulic crimper for the battery post connector... neither is very cheap! Especially the big 100+ amp crimpers https://www.amazon.com/ANDERSON-POWER-PRODUCTS-1309G4-CRIMP/dp/B00DKC6GOE

dnix71:
What I need is a way to reattach the cable to the main battery post (main + or -). The corroded knot is too close to the main lead post to slice.

Harold in CR:
Try calling Indian River Battery and Starter in Vero Beach to get away from the spoiled Union BS.

mab:
Your post is very timely for me dinx - just yesterday i was checking a friends house battery as her battery seemed to have lost capacity - turned out to be the links between cells in the forklift battery had corroded making the battery open circuit and leaving her running on the aincient (but huge) ex-subarine battery.

The links must have been made either by the factory or a battery supplier who could melt and pour the lead links.

I was thinking of drilling and tapping the posts to take 8 or 10mm threaded rod/bolts and using 6" lengths of flattened copper pipe - but did wonder how deep i could safely drill the posts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version