Author Topic: Windmill Power output at specific size  (Read 2788 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Windmill Power output at specific size
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2021, 09:12:42 PM »
if none of the member is willing to share their numbers.

Facepalm.
If only you went looking for it...  I have cleverly concealed it all on a place called the "internet".
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

MattM

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2021, 12:27:38 AM »
And to unlock your hiding space requires use of a secret decoder ring called a Google.

Nevermind the Betz law stuff.

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2021, 02:06:07 AM »

Thank you Ir Adrian. I think it is same as Er = Engineer. But in anyway, you know more than any Engineer or PhD person from the work I have seen.

Sadly, the Only way for me to evaluate my windmill is then build multiple windmills and compare them side by side, if none of the member is willing to share their numbers.

On my website; www.kdwindturbines.nl there are several folders about small VIRYA windmills at the menu VIRYA folders. There is also a folder which gives an overview of all specifications. For every windmill, I specify the Pel-V curve. So in these curves and in the folder with the specifications you can see what maximum power the windmill can generate at the rated wind speed. The rated wind speed depends on the adjustment of the safety system. All windmills have the same hinged side vane safety system but the chosen vane thickness and vane material may differ. The heavier the vane weight per area, the higher the rated wind speed. The maximum electrical power also depends on the matching and the generator efficiency. If you compare the VIRYA-1.04 with a Nexus hub dynamo and the VIRYA-1 with an 8-pole axial flux PM-generator you see that the maximum power for the VIRYA-1.04 is very low mainly because of bad matching at high wind speeds.

You should read the folder: "Sequence of KD-reports for self-study" given at the top of the list with KD-reports.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:42:39 AM by Adriaan Kragten »

kitestrings

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2021, 10:46:38 AM »
I have a similar reaction to what Scruff describes when I read something like this:

The average yield is many times higher compared to a normal urban windmill propeller.

Generally, it makes me take about three steps back.  Unfortunately, I consider whatever comes next as suspect, until proven otherwise.  I'm guessing this is not your intent (to alienate your audience) if your goal is to genuinely pursue design improvements.

A pretty good real-world litmus test is Michael Klemen's pages:

https://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/~klemen/Perfect_Turbine.htm

I wish you luck, but I would rethink the marketing aspect. The small wind "industry" has long suffered from over-promising what people can expect.  In the end this doesn't help things.  ~ks

Generator

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2021, 08:45:29 PM »
Adrian, if we use thinnest blades (e.g. 3 mm blade but shaped aerodynamically at its best) considering they are strong enough against highest wind speed, would we get better performance?

On my website; kdwindturbines.nl there are several folders about small VIRYA windmills at the menu VIRYA folders. There is also a folder which gives an overview of all specifications. For every windmill, I specify the Pel-V curve. So in these curves and in the folder with the specifications you can see what maximum power the windmill can generate at the rated wind speed. The rated wind speed depends on the adjustment of the safety system. All windmills have the same hinged side vane safety system but the chosen vane thickness and vane material may differ. The heavier the vane weight per area, the higher the rated wind speed. The maximum electrical power also depends on the matching and the generator efficiency. If you compare the VIRYA-1.04 with a Nexus hub dynamo and the VIRYA-1 with an 8-pole axial flux PM-generator you see that the maximum power for the VIRYA-1.04 is very low mainly because of bad matching at high wind speeds.

You should read the folder: "Sequence of KD-reports for self-study" given at the top of the list with KD-reports.

Generator

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2021, 08:56:23 PM »
I have searched most of the windmills with their numbers. Unfortunately I was unable to find the real testing results other than Boasted numbers {yearly output in KWH}. No windmill company have shown actual Voltage under fully loaded condition. Some might show up to 24 V with battery as load or 48 V. Some might show something more, but I haven't seen any Windmill showing 200V with load other than battery as load. I might have not found those windmills, which might have shown it (Well I saw one spanish guy running food mixer, but it was in Spanish and details). That is the reason, I came on this board to know whether it's possible for a 8 ft windmill to run 2000 watt Hair dryer or 1000 Watt bulb or 3000 watt motor as load or so... without using battery as intermediate power supply. 

If you have seen/read it, I'd be more than happy to read it.

And to unlock your hiding space requires use of a secret decoder ring called a Google.

Nevermind the Betz law stuff.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2021, 09:17:36 PM »
Mine would do 200v i suspect wired in series instead of parallel.  It would put out half the amps though.  Fully loaded volts really says nothing without amps.  I could design one to make 50 000 volts but it wouldn't be useful to anyone. 

Yes, Adriann has some designs on his website of wind turbines running directly to water pumps.  They aren't perfectly practical but do work.

Yes you can run a hair dryer or light bulb directly bit it won't be smooth because the wind varies so much.  A gust will probably come along and the voltage will spike and burn up whatever you have connected.  That is why people use batteries.  They even out the power by clamping the voltage to battery voltage.

A 3mm blade, all things being equal, is usually less efficient than a 300mm blade on account of the smaller reynolds number of the 3mm.

Reynolds numbers are dependant on the size of the airfoil and the airspeed and probably other factors that i don't know about.   

Just fyi yearly kwh are REALtest results and the numbers that matter.  Watts output is the boasting number that means nothing.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2021, 01:50:20 AM »
If you have seen/read it, I'd be more than happy to read it.

Yes
NREL
Sandia
SWCC
Home Power magazine
Universities study this in exquisite detail
There are at least a hundred textbooks and scientific papers.

Besides that, I've published my results and so has Adriaan and so has Hugh Piggott though I'm a bit embarrassed to write my name in the same list as those two.
The founders of this site (Dan and Dan) published a lot of test results both of raw power and yearly energy.
Paul Gipe publishes regularly to his wind energy site and regularly debunks crap like what you are going on about.

All of this information is available to a CASUAL observer searching for info to learn from, rather than cherry-pick numbers.

My basic answer is "stop annoying the teacher and do your homework assignments".

Any further questions on the matter must be in a new thread when you pose specific questions on a specific topic to refine your understanding of something you have read/learned/tested yourself.  Failure to do your own DIY learning will demonstrate that you refuse read and only want to bug us with unicorns on pinhead questions. Then you will be labeled as a troll.  This thread is closed.

PS thank you to everyone who tried to help.  Your patience is appreciated.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca