Remote Living > Transportation

LiFe Car Battery in Real Use

<< < (2/2)

MattM:
Would a transistor pack be a better option for cranking the starter?  I usually find 700+ CCA batteries for my vehicles here in northern Florida, even if it means changing out the pan.  Heat is just as harsh on battery life as the cold.

taylorp035:
The battery is rated for 540 CCA or 45C discharge.  When fully charged, it's maybe 80-90% of the cranking speed of the OEM battery.

I live in the snow belts of PA where it's gets down to 0F usually each year and get 240" of snow.  Hopefully it's okay operating in the cold....

The alternator has an internal voltage regulator and a sensing wire that comes out of it.

"When you used the Blinky , what was the balanced standing voltage?"  - It usually rests at 3.33 - 3.37v / cell when it's off and fully charged.

taylorp035:
To end this story in the near term, I decided to give up on the LiFe battery for now since it was getting really annoying to have a cell that would self discharge within a week.  I went to Walmart and bought $50 group 26 battery that weighs 28 lbs and could do 550-ish CCA versus the stock H7 850 CCA battery that was 52 lbs.  The new battery starts the car quite well and should last me another 100k miles so long as my OEM radiator fan relay doesn't stick on too many times after I walk away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version