Remote Living > Heating

HRV vs. ERV (or both)?

<< < (3/4) > >>

jlsoaz:
OK, thanks again.

jlsoaz:
We decided on this unit:

https://na.panasonic.com/us/home-and-building-solutions/ventilation-indoor-air-quality/energy-recovery-ventilators/intelli
Intelli-Balance™ 100 Balanced Air 50 - 100CFM

Some have advised that noise can be an issue, and I"m still not quite sure what to make of the humidity questions that come up, so if anyone has any advice about where to locate it or other installation points, please let me know.  We haven't finalized the location where it will go, but I don't have an attic.  I may have to drill another hole or two in the concrete.

jlsoaz:
I'm watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkvoXK6-fjk

but can anyone comment on:

a) best placement of the ERV?  (My installer, not having dealt with them much, was somewhat inclined to installing outside.  Can such a thing be done?  I'm doubting it.  He said he would ask).
b) do the intake and the outgoing air vents need to be set apart from each other?

DamonHD:
I would certainly separate the external vents (inlet and outlet) as much as you reasonably can, point them in different directions, and arrange that the prevaling wind direction takes outlet air away from the inlet.

But maybe I misunderstood you?

Rgds

Damon

southpaw:
I have never seen an hrv or erv certified for external installation. The installation manual will tell you if it's possible but I highly doubt it. The manual will also tell you the minimum separation of the air inlet and outlet. There will be a concentric vent option which uses the same hole for both which would be a good choice in your situation. If you built a weatherproof enclosure on th exterior you could probably install it there. I've seen a lot of houses in your area with water heaters sitting outside with little or no protection and I'm sure they're not certified for the exposure. By the book is best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version