Steam Engines > Refrigeration

Recharging freezer with Freon

(1/3) > >>

JW:
I have this stand up freezer that costed like $800 I bought it about ten years ago. Well it stopped cooling. I called a appliance repair shop and had to pay a service charge of like $120 and they did nothing with it and took my money. The thing is a really nice unit. I did some research and its not a big deal to recharge it with 134A. Im used to charging auto AC systems so im not afraid of it.

So anyway it only costs $25 to get the bullet valve and recharge it. I ordered the parts today and should have them by the end of the week.

Here is a picture of the compressor

This is the low side tube. I will tap into this pipe with the bullet valve to charge it on the low side of the system. Since there are no service ports the valve is needed. This is a last ditch effort so its worth it. Will update when I get the parts and I can recharge it.   

makenzie71:
I use to do a lot of commercial and residential HVAC...same principal with refrigerators and freezers.  The systems are sealed.  The freon and oil don't get used up or anything like that.  If the thing is not running because it's low on freon, the problem is not that it's low on freon.  "Low on freon" is a symptom...the problem is that the freon is getting out.

You can invest in the parts and materials to put more freon in it, but you're still going to have to find out how the freon is getting out.

JW:
When selecting the bullet valve they also have a simple gauge to check pressure. I didnt use that since I have a good set of gauges and a oil charge cylinder. Im going to put about 1 once(or less) of UV dye oil when I recharge. I have a UV light so I can track for a leak. This thing gradually lost performance so your probably right.

XeonPony:
If it used to be R12 you'll need to give it a shot of N-Butane to carry over the oil (Same stuff lighters use)

and as a last shot (Basically system is a throw away if it fails) is using the leak stop stuff they sell for cars, not the seal sweller type but the goop type.

OperaHouse:
I have a 5cf freezer I have to do the same thing with.  I have the gas, the hoses and the valve. Even a vacuum pump and scale.   For the last three years they have never all shown up at the same time. Have a 7cf used as a fridge. The 5cf would be nice for ice cream. I swear this is the year. Place your bets.

Years back my sister had an appliance store and GE had a recall on compressors.  I did a dozen in one day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version