Steam Engines > Refrigeration

Recharging freezer with Freon

<< < (3/3)

bigrockcandymountain:
In Canada, they don't sell cans of 134a refrigerant.  They sell 12a like duracool and redtek.  They both work really great, especially in systems designed for R12.

I had a Volkswagen car that used a variable diaplacement pump that needed 134a, not a substitute.  When researching how to get around this, I discovered that the keyboard cleaner canned air cans are sometimes 134a.  You can get a tool called a side can tap to get it out and in to your manifold set. It just pokes a hole in the side of the can. 

It all seemed kinda sketchy to me.  I never bought the tool. Anybody have any experience with any of that stuff?

joestue:
I have had no problem using canned air which is r-152a, in place of r-134a.... which you can no longer buy in washington state over the counter.

almost all cars are variable displacement swashplate 5-7 piston compressors.

i might re-fill the r-1234yf in my chevy spark with r-152a. it works fine, but has low capacity. i should get something like 20% more capacity from switching, without even loading the compressor more.

bigrockcandymountain:
That's another thing i was wondering was if r-152a would work.  Thanks for posting.  So do you use a side can tap for that?

joestue:

--- Quote from: bigrockcandymountain on March 31, 2023, 01:26:22 PM ---That's another thing i was wondering was if r-152a would work.  Thanks for posting.  So do you use a side can tap for that?

--- End quote ---

yeah. best to put the can in the freezer so you lose less product, those side piercing can taps don't work all that great.

JW:
All these refrigeration systems use an expansion valve I think my compressor is still good.

I still have this freezer if we could make it work again it would be awesome. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version