Remote Living > Lighting

LED substitutes for linear fluorescent is finally economic.

<< < (2/2)

Ungrounded Lightning Rod:
We had incandescents in the Nevada ranch.  (Compact fluorescents triggered my wife's vertigo.)  We also hadn't gotten around to installing an air conditioner and the place tended to get hot.

I realized a year or so ago that running a couple of the fixtures - 6 bulbs over the kitchen island and a six-lamp chandaleer - was about like running a couple 250 watt heat lamps or half a space heater.  After finding out that 3000 K LED lamps DIDN'T set off her vertigo, I relamped with LEDs.

As of that time LEDs were good enough that they only use a tenth of the power of equivalent brightness incandescents - so they only do a tenth of the heating.  That improved the heat situation drastically.  Well worth the cost, even for the little we're likely to use the place before selling out and moving on (due to the wife's lung condition, requiring oxygen above 3000 feet, making a house at 5000 feet altitude unlivably hazardous.)

TechAdmin:
LED business is something that is still a bit obscure to me... You can find all sorts of lights in Chinese shops and same thing on ebay/amazon as you mentioned. The real differences are prices - when I was looking at some LED light for my bike, I could either go with some Chinese thingy at like 10$ or more than 100$ in retail stores, branded, but looking extremely similar.
From what I've seen it's just about the same story for house lights too, the real problem is to figure out when companies are being greedy (over 100 for a lamp is bs, honestly, it's not gold-plated) and when they're selling trash at affordable prices. You could theoretically get a cheap item to perform better than a more expensive one because perhaps the bigger company saved on some components quality and stuff like that, but it's kind of a big gamble.
In the end... Aren't they all made in China anyway? :P

JW:
Im not able tell if these are made in China but it is looking good for temporary power. I say its worth that much if they burn up so what.
 https://www.ebay.com/i/232635468769?norover=1&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]&siteid=0&ipn=admain2&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-157687-929634-7&mkcid=4&placement=529728&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs7Gr3KWq5wIVxPvjBx28sQdvEAEYASACEgIgWvD_BwE

Less than $200 bucks for 3000w   

TDC:

--- Quote from: TechAdmin on January 29, 2020, 09:23:07 AM ---LED business is something that is still a bit obscure to me... You can find all sorts of lights in Chinese shops and same thing on ebay/amazon as you mentioned. The real differences are prices - when I was looking at some LED light for my bike, I could either go with some Chinese thingy at like 10$ or more than 100$ in retail stores, branded, but looking extremely similar.
From what I've seen it's just about the same story for house lights too, the real problem is to figure out when companies are being greedy (over 100 for a lamp is bs, honestly, it's not gold-plated) and when they're selling trash at affordable prices. You could theoretically get a cheap item to perform better than a more expensive one because perhaps the bigger company saved on some components quality and stuff like that, but it's kind of a big gamble.
In the end... Aren't they all made in China anyway? :P

--- End quote ---

The quality of fluorescent replacements varies and they are about the same efficiency as screw in LED, around 100 lumen/watt.

MY EDC (Every Day Carry) flashlight was $89 and worth the money to me. Over 1300 lumen compared to 800 for a common screw in LED.
http://www.zebralight.com/H600Fw-Mk-IV-18650-XHP35-Floody-Neutral-White-Headlamp_p_217.html

Buy good components and you can get double the efficiency of common consumer stuff.  I bought the parts for two friends to light their garages and they are more than happy.  These are reduced price since their next gen has started to become available with 6% higher efficiency.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/bridgelux/BXEB-L1120Z-35E4000-C-B3/976-1732-ND/7907661

China has everything from crap to very high quality and there's good LED from Japan, USA, Samsung from South Korea etc.

Now some fun stuff.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh9j5mDU_hA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vgNh3fLxJc

Ungrounded Lightning Rod:

--- Quote from: TDC on February 09, 2020, 07:22:15 PM ---
The quality of fluorescent replacements varies and they are about the same efficiency as screw in LED, around 100 lumen/watt.
--- End quote ---

Actually, CFLs are about 80% as efficient, at least for the 3000k color temperature we prefer.  Per a recent web search LEDs are about 90 lumens/watt (1600 @ 17.7W), CFLs about 72 (1650 @ 23W).  (I remember them as being about half, so I suppose CFLs have improved a bit lately, too.)

--- Quote ---China has everything from crap to very high quality and there's good LED from Japan, USA, Samsung from South Korea etc.
--- End quote ---

I've had good reliability with Feit Electric (my go-to brand) and Satco (my backup).  (A few years back each had an infant mortality out of a couple dozen.  Got 'em at Dale Hardware in Fremont CA - and Ace outlet - which was happy to swap them for good replacements.  Things seem to have improved lately, no trouble with a dozen or so more - or that could be law of small numbers.)  Got some GEs for an outside fixture but haven't used them long enough to rate them.

Feit has 60W equivalent LED bug lights, too, which look very nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version