Author Topic: Bryan's Wind Genny about to turn again  (Read 994 times)

ruddycrazy

Bryan's Wind Genny about to turn again
« on: May 09, 2020, 03:54:45 AM »
G'day Guy's,
                    Just under a year ago those blades I made for my F&P wind genny the one I had going 15 years ago to prove adding caps in series really did work. Anyway history has a different story but lets not let that get in the way.

It has taken close to 9 months to carve out a new 2.4 metre set, and yesterday while i had the Listeroid charging the shed battery I decided to quickly mark out the new mount for these blades. so got my dividers out and it took about 1/2 an hour to cut the 6mm plate out. Cut the first one to my marking out then traced it onto the plate and cut the second one. It did take a few hours to balance the 2 plates so the blades were attached. Well as one can expect the balance was way out, so duly cut some 25x12mm flat bar to fit the holes in the plate. Well soon went to 25mm plate until I got the basic balance then took off plates and added until I finally got the balance. Just waiting for the paint to dry then the blades will go on up up the tower will go to epect this windy cold front about to hit.

Now this brings onto that 4Kw motor conversion with 88 neo 16x13 N50 grade, 22 in each pole and a 4Kw totally rewound with 3 by 1mm wire for  cut in of 240 rpm. When I tested the beast in by big lathe at cutin I saw a glimpse of 89 amps @ 24 volts then the VFD on my lathe complained of over current. I did the same test 2 weeks later and got similar figures with the VFD cutting out.

With beauty of these conversions as Oztules has said they are indestructible as once the speed over rides the current capability of the wire the reactance comes in and the current tapers off  and no harm is done to the windings. Now at best we get 100K winds one or twice a year so why not make a downwind wind genny to test this idea out. The plan is 4 metre blades where red gum is the wood. I do have a well seasoned red gum branch about 6 metres long so by making a thickness guide on my big chainsaw I'll cut some 6" planks out of to make the blades.

I only have some 1/4" by 3" hydraulic pipe for a tower to use for a tower and a cantilever will be the go but the test of time will prove the test.

Cheers Bryan 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Bryan's Wind Genny about to turn again
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 09:00:01 PM »
Hey sounds great!  Looking forward to hearing it's up.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ElSuperFantasma

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 02:23:08 AM »
Same here.

ESF

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 08:18:08 AM »
Eek - posted wrong, double post from 400w china jenny thread crept into this one... So this is not a delete, nopers.

Wanted to post encouragement to Bryan when he started this thread but I looked at what I wrote and all I was really doing was asking for photos ...

Good re-start so far, keep posts coming. (and photos!)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:15:20 AM by DanG »

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 09:42:20 PM »
I would love to see pictures too.  Your detailed post about your big motor conversion (4kw I think) was a big help to me when I built mine.  I know I read some of your stuff several times over. 

ruddycrazy

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 11:36:13 PM »
G'day Guy's,
                    Well step one has happened and that is making a fence for my 20" chainsaw, the target branch is a 2' + diameter red gum branch that has been aging for well over a decade off the ground as a branch had fallen under the larger branch that I'm going to cut. The best I could do was 15" width on my 20" bar and I will go for 5" thick slabs. Now as my target blade diameter was 4 metres I'll see just how long I can make the slabs and that will determine the diameter of the blades.

Now as the best site is 100 metres away from my shearing shed and another 75 metres to the house batteries the shearing shed will finally be powered as I'll rectify the wild AC at the shearing shed and sent DC down to the house array. I will talk to an enginear at work to see if I can grab a coil or 2 of wire and I'm sure a few bottles of moonshine will pave the way to the wire.

For the tower I do have some 3" 1/4" wall hydraulic pipe here for the tower and I was thinking 2 support pipes that are attached to the base then pipe welded and braced at 90 degrees for the gin pole. Now for the base slab I do have some rio that is used for pile driving and the idea is to join 2 of them and use my old onan engine and some old heavy metal  to make the base and use a few cubes of concrete to hole the base. For for using 3" pipe for this project it would be great if Sparweb could run the numbers and see if it can hold the loading or will I need to goto thicker pipe, the numbers will say and for this project I do think external input is required.

My intention is get this conversion in the air and making power for decades to prove the Zubbly(RIP) method just plain works even with a huge downwind wind generator.

Cheers Bryan