Author Topic: Stainless Steel Rods and Nuts/washers  (Read 926 times)

Yianie123.

Stainless Steel Rods and Nuts/washers
« on: February 10, 2020, 08:30:49 AM »
Hello everyone.  It has been forever and I hope all is well.  I'm trying to finish my first windmill and I purchased Stainless Steel threaded rod from ACE and Stainless Steel Nuts/Washers from Amazon.  Well to my surprise, they do stick to the magnets on my plate.  So, I know now that they are not pure, and they do stick, can I still use them or should I go for completely iron free stainless steel.  Thank you...

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Stainless Steel Rods and Nuts/washers
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 08:50:39 AM »
i remember you Yianie . is the alternator design  similar to the dual rotor design the Dans were building ? if so i think you can use the threaded rod and nuts even thought they are attracted to the mags.

Yianie123.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 09:11:32 AM »
Its nice that you remember me.  Please forgive me, but I do not remember Dan's design.  My design is the traditional rotor design, but it is difference by means of 2 pipes welded at a 90' angle, with a flat plate on 1 pipe.  It can either be a Horizontal or a Vertical wind turbine when it is finished.   Ether way, there is at least 1.25 inch from the edge of the washer to the magnet.  Does this change your opinion?

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 08:11:28 AM »
the dans used a trailer hub as a platform. threaded rods were used as a means of retaining the magnet rotors to the hub. hex nuts were used to adjust the space between the magnet rotors..

Yianie123.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:40:11 AM »
Yes, I am using a trailer hub, so it should be my understanding that even though my Stainless Steel threaded rod, nuts and washers are magnetic, it should be ok?

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 08:47:39 AM »
they are powerful magnets. you should be cautious.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »
With an air gap so tight the flux leap can be compared to a short-circuit, what is happening a few inches away has minuscule effects on it.

And their is a huge difference between magnetic and semi-magnetic, even with iron the disruption would be extremely small, using stainless is a best practice thing for all stages of assembly, usage and servicing.

Gary

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 12:57:10 PM »
If you have your magnets and your rods, test them.  Swing a rod as a pendulum past your magnet and see what happens or mock up a sample of what you intend to build.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 09:32:22 AM »
the threaded rod should be inserted in  your trailer hub and secured   before you place your first magnet rotor over the hub. the stator should be secured to the stator support brackets .
you need to carefully place the spacer nuts on the threaded rod  at a safe height before you allow  the second rotor in place . it has to be a controlled situation or you could be hurt.