Homebrewed Electricity > Other

Using BadBoy charger for 30S battery

(1/7) > >>

Harold in CR:

Down here, in the jungle, I am working on my 3 wheel tadpole motorcycle. I have a 30S Chevy Volt battery module mounted low in the remodeled motorcycle frame.

I have read some stuff online about these Bad Boy chargers. A very recent post by Ruddycrazy has stated that a F&P washing machine motor of maybe 240V could be tamed with some capacitors placed inline on the 3 phase wires to control amps.

Here, we have 120V single phase  available, that runs between 116v and 118v from house outlets.  My battery has a nominal voltage output of 111v but, the full charge, which I want to tame a bit is 126v of Lithium battery pack. I would like to maintain a charge of say 15-20A into the battery and monitor closely, which would be no problem for me, But, have been told there is no acceptable way to control the amps from the Power Co. input from the house, into the battery. I would also use the battery for my small sawmill, which would not be a major draw except for the actual cutting of each board, then removing and positioning the log. I just want to keep a decent voltage and capacity in the battery as I use it.

There are no such 120V 20A , chargers available down here and buying/shipping from US of A would be prohibitive regarding my budget.  If more info is needed, I can provide it. Is there a safe way to accomplish what I want to do ?

Thanks for any useful info/advice.  Harold

MagnetJuice:
Harold, if it was me, I would start with something like this:

A bit dangerous, but I am sure that you know how to deal with that kind of stuff. Add a voltmeter and ammeter and you end up with a fully adjustable battery charger.

If the Lithium batteries don't like the ripple and unregulated output, it would not be too hard to add a regulator and filters to that circuit.

I bought one of those 20 Amp Variacs a few weeks ago for 90 US$. They are handy for a lot of stuff.

Ed

Harold in CR:
Variacs were listed as part of the solution. Run caps for electric motors was also listed as a way to help control the amps input into the battery.

There is a circuit drawing put out by Mr. Ron Bonn that is supposed to be the best way to make the charger, but, I just don't understand electronics.

https://www.electric-cars-are-for-girls.com/battery-charger-schematic.html This is the circuit and appropriate information related to these chargers.

Those that criticize my wants are claiming there is no sufficient clamping of the extreme amperage that the battery would draw from a 15A fused house circuit, and I could be electrocuted in the process of trying this. As stated, I am very capable of putting electricity to use with safe procedures. I am just completely dumb about the Amps thing.

Mary B:
PWM circuit for the output...

Harold in CR:
Variac on ebay for $70.00 free shipping.  Found a 30A for $75.00 free shipping. Reading the specs says steel shell (copper coil/lightweight)?  This sounds like copper coated aluminum coil wire, no ?
Besides a motor run cap what else would I need ?

Thanks for the info MJ and Mary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version