Homebrewed Electricity > Other

Using BadBoy charger for 30S battery

<< < (4/7) > >>

Bruce S:
Harold ;
In regards to the 3-wheeler. What type of motor are you looking at? AC ,, DC and voltage.

Cheers

Stay Safe
Bruce S

mab:
MJ: Aha! i do like it when a mystery is solved :)  I was asking what type of ammeter as analogue ones tend to read total amps including d.c. even when set to a.c., but digital ones only see the a.c. component usually.

Harold:
ok, no ready made transformer coils then, and for the moment, I assume no variac.

So if you're going from 120v ac (170v peak) to 110 -120ish v d.c then at peak voltage 170 there's going to be ~60v pushing current through to the battery. to limit current without electronics you can use inductors or capacitors or resistors:

1st thought is an unpolarised capacitor on the a.c. side of the bridge rectifier; so the current that will flow into a 110v battery should be (not sure my maths is right but I'll wait and see if someone sees a hole):-

I = 60 (voltage diff peak to battery) * C (in farads) * 120 (I assume 60Hz a.c.)

so C = I/(60*120)

so if I = 10Amps (for example)  then C = 10/7200 = 0.001389 = 1389uF  that's quite a few motor caps!

another way of limiting current I find works well is a good old light bulb - at low currents the filament is cold and has quite a low resistance, but as you approach it's nominal current so it gets hot and the resistance goes up; and if you can use a 120v lamp then even if you short the output of your charger, all that happens it the light comes on. :) The issue may be finding light bulbs to give you a current of 10 or 20 amps - i don't know what lamps are available for 120v (i'm on 230v) but with pressure to move to more efficient forms of lighting, large incandescent lamps are being phased out. But a 1000w lamp should be ~8.333 amps ( Amps = power / volts), so 2 or 3 or 4 or maybe 5 or6 of those in parallel if you can find them should put you in the right ball park. I.e. I'd start with one and see what charge current you get.

You could try winding some wire on an iron motor core for an inductor, but if it were me doing it I'd have to try, say, 20 turns and see what it did rather than by calculation, so I'd still need a lamp or a variac to limit the current whilst experimenting.

hope that helps
marcus

Harold in CR:
Bruce S
I have an AC15 or AC20 3 phase AC motor and controller, but, controller is 96V rated.

Have a 6 phase hubmotor that is stripped down for mid drive setup. It is affected by slower winding so not enough RPM's for highway riding in these hills. This is where the 126V-- 111V nominal battery comes in.

Also, just spend half a day trying to get a 24V 150A Leece Neville alternator to run as a motor. At the possibility of 14+ HP available, I would like to see how that6 would work out.  Also, have an option for several Nissan Leaf modules to up the voltage for more RPM's as the 2 AC-altermotors can do up to 8000
RPM's.

MAB, Flood lights are all the serious light bulbs available here.  I have 240V 4500W water heater element that would put a clamp on the amps while heating water, that is always useful. 

Other than that, until crisis eases and shipping is possible, OR, I get to fly up to Florida and gather my stuff including the machining I need to do, then, a Variac would be possible.

mab:
I expect that water heater will have a cold resistance of 12 or 13 ohms - with just 60v peak you're not going to get a lot of current through it. You might try a motor - anything that has a low impedance which rises as the current flow increases.

MagnetJuice:
Counting on the possibility that a Variac will be used to charge the battery, I put together a rig that I can use for testing. I wanted to build something like this anyways, so now I have it ready for other projects.

This Variac has an output of 16 Amps continuous at up to 130 Volts. The bridge rectifier is rated at 50 Amps at 1000 volts. For a load, I will use nichrome wire from a dryer heating element. That way I can run different tests while varying the resistance of the load.

I mounted the rectifier on an old heat sink from one of my old computers. The heatsink has a fan just in case that I need to cool it.

I need to go to the store now to pick up some supplies. If it is not too late after I come back, I can run some tests. Or wait until tomorrow. I think I am going to get a 24 oz. can of beer and just relax for today. Lay back and think about how great is going to be when this nasty virus is gone and we will be allowed to run free again.

Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version