Author Topic: And I'm also turning a washing machine into a wind turbine  (Read 1924 times)

makenzie71

And I'm also turning a washing machine into a wind turbine
« on: March 18, 2020, 09:37:55 AM »
https://youtu.be/ETi71IDyZYw

I feel like it was a lot of wasted effort...I'm going to make a plate to mount the stator to and run the rotor on a 1" shaft with pillow blocks.  I had hoped the washer's bearing assembly and everything would be usable but it's just not.

makenzie71

Re: And I'm also turning a washing machine into a wind turbine
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 10:39:16 AM »
I'm wanting to find another one of these motors and make a dual stator turbine.  Would it cause problems if the rotors were both mounted close to one another?  I want to mount the stators on either side of a 3/8 plate.  This will have the rotors "cupped" toward one another and only about 1/2" apart.  If I stand the stators off the plate a little I can get the distance further.  Just worried about magnetic fields being too close.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 02:15:34 PM »
F&P washing machine motors http://www.randysworkshop.net/order.html

makenzie71

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 08:25:10 AM »
Part 2 of the LG washing machine motor!  300 volts!  I wonder how the hell I'm going to use that haha

https://youtu.be/KWUfWWGucvg

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 09:26:04 AM »
these Aussies know everything about turning those washing machine motors into windmills
https://www.thebackshed.com/

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 09:45:27 AM »
I support the link to thebackshed they have been around for years... Wow there site looks great :)

https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=3113
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:57:20 AM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 10:20:27 AM »
We have lots on these type of motors  I may update some links made from our technical Topics  https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=148979.0

makenzie71

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 12:19:21 PM »
I like the back shed.  A lot of good info from people who have to figure it out with what's on hand.  Good stuff.

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 12:24:22 PM »
Slap a flat belt on it,,grab an old exercise bike ,,make some electrons ,,        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iC9op-nWxPE
WILD in ALASKA

ruddycrazy

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 02:16:33 AM »
if your going to use a F&P for a turbine don't bother doing a re-wire just wire it up in delta and grab some 400 volt 450uf caps. Solder 2 of the caps back to back so they become non polarized then make 3 sets ( one for each phase) and wire them in before the rectifier. Now first try the turbine without the caps in place then put the caps in and see the difference.

I have gone back to using my old F&P 100 series where I did that test with the caps and with a good wind it tops out the 20 amp gauge I have setup for it. Now with the caps one would be lucky to see 12 amps out of the washing machine motor in a cyclone.

Last weekend I finished carving some new 2.4 metre blades and this week I'll get them finished  so my wind genny is back working again. The last blade set only lasted a year then the weather got to them and in a gale they went flying. Found one about 300 metres away and one wedged between 2 roof sheets in my shed.

Cheers Bryan

makenzie71

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 08:03:02 AM »
Got a picture of your capacitors?  Trying to wrap my head around the "back to back" bit.  And you mean with the capacitors there's lower amps?

ruddycrazy

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 02:08:57 AM »
when I said back to back I meant just solder the negative of one cap to the positive of the other cap and this will make it non polarized, now as far as using the caps in series with the wild AC from the F&P it increases the current by a big margin. Now I went with 470uf 400 volt caps as that was what I had onhand at the time and it may may to play with different uf caps to get the best match. Now also goingthe back to back route it does 1/2 the uf too so that is something to be aware of. This is also why I used 2 banks of caps on each to get back to the 470uf.

Now I did the same tests with a 60 and 80 series but the 100 series out performed the smaller wire ones hands down.

Cheers Bryan

MagnetJuice

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 02:41:03 AM »
I thought that to make one non-polarized capacitor, the two negatives or the two positive leads from two capacitors have to be soldered together. Not solder the negative and positive leads together. Is this correct?

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

ruddycrazy

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 05:52:58 AM »
I will go up to my shed and check those caps as it was about 12 years ago when I did them

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 03:49:26 PM »
I thought that to make one non-polarized capacitor, the two negatives or the two positive leads from two capacitors have to be soldered together. Not solder the negative and positive leads together. Is this correct?

Ed

Correct but the caps need to be matched. 2 random junk box caps may cause problems.

makenzie71

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 08:22:23 AM »
Alright I'm curious...when I turn this thing with a drill connected to my battery bank it hits charging voltage and DRAGS heavily right there.  Ends up only making like 70 watts.  My drill should support 250~300 watts, so I'm pretty sure it's the resistance caused by the high voltage.

I would like to be able to use these stators as they are without reconfiguring the coils if possible.

In other threads we discussed adding resistors to the output legs of the rectifiers to simulate a higher voltage battery assembly.  Is that something that could be done here?  Can you guys make suggestions for resistors?

The capacitor trick...how would that affect my output?  Would that reduce the drag on the turbine and let me spool it up faster?

MagnetJuice

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 04:41:39 PM »
Mak, answers to all your questions are not possible without more information from you.

Here are some answers that you can provide:

Source of power to your drill, whether electric or battery.

If a battery powered drill, the condition and state of charge of the battery.

Voltage of your battery bank.

State of charge of your battery bank.

Voltage at which the motor is designed to operate.

Amperage that the motor draws at full load.

RPM the motor is designed to rotate at full operating voltage.

RPM that you are rotating the motor.

Voltage produced by the motor at said RPM.

If you can provide the answer to all those questions, someone might be able to help you.

After watching some of your YouTube videos, it appears that you lack some very basic knowledge of electrical principles. In the past, you have had some good advice from knowledgeable members of this forum, but it seems that you either ignore it or are not able to comprehend it.

I recommend that you get a book that teaches basic electricity and study it. Take the time to educate yourself. It would be good for you and for the viewers of your videos on YouTube.

Unless what you are doing is meant for entertaining purposes only. If that is the case, just keep trying to amuse some people on YouTube.

Ed

makenzie71

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 04:58:10 PM »
Mak, answers to all your questions are not possible without more information from you.

Here are some answers that you can provide:

Source of power to your drill, whether electric or battery.

If a battery powered drill, the condition and state of charge of the battery.

Voltage of your battery bank.

State of charge of your battery bank.

Voltage at which the motor is designed to operate.

Amperage that the motor draws at full load.

RPM the motor is designed to rotate at full operating voltage.

RPM that you are rotating the motor.

Voltage produced by the motor at said RPM.

If you can provide the answer to all those questions, someone might be able to help you.

After watching some of your YouTube videos, it appears that you lack some very basic knowledge of electrical principles. In the past, you have had some good advice from knowledgeable members of this forum, but it seems that you either ignore it or are not able to comprehend it.

I recommend that you get a book that teaches basic electricity and study it. Take the time to educate yourself. It would be good for you and for the viewers of your videos on YouTube.

Unless what you are doing is meant for entertaining purposes only. If that is the case, just keep trying to amuse some people on YouTube.

Ed

Hey I appreciate you're opinion on the matter.  I assure you I have not "dismissed" any advice given here.  If I have no followed someone's advice it's because I either did not have the tools/materials to carry the action out properly or the project simply wasn't worth the effort suggested.  I would like to give you fair warning that any time you see my username as a thread starter it's probably another silly project I've started that you won't approve of or like.  I'm sorry I have offended you.

MagnetJuice

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 05:36:13 PM »
Mak, you have not offended me.

As far as the projects that you start, it is not my job to approve or disapprove.

I think that your projects are interesting and I have tried to help you in the past.

As far as the questions that you asked about that motor, they cannot be answered without you providing more information. That was the purpose of my posting above.

If I can help you find answers to some of your questions in the future, I will.

Peace  :)

Ed

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 08:57:50 AM »
Hey we can all offer a guess.  You can measure and math your way close to an answer if you want.

I'll try:

Let's assume your power drill is rated at 300W.  The motor and reduction gears are at the very best 50% efficient at peak power.  The power drill connected to the shaft of your wind turbine generator, delivers only 150W of mechanical power.  The generator takes that mechanical power and it's probably no better than 75% efficient at low speed so it can only make 87 Watts.

Yeah.  It's no surprise to me what you are getting.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

makenzie71

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 10:10:33 AM »
The stators I'm using are mev504062

Rotors are wdc266c01r.al8 (It hink, that 8 could be a B)

I've used three different drills of various ratings with the strongest being a 1500w drill rated at 1275rpm.  However, when running the drill through a monitor it was drawing in excess of 1500w and getting hot, but there's zero chance it was turning that fast, and the alternator was only making about 70~75 watts at this time.  As said above, it was like the brakes were on.  Which is an issue I had with the little "500 watt" ebay turbine when running it on low voltage.

The issue is that this alternator's output is simply too high.  What I'm trying to do is find a way to use it as is, but so far I have not found any ways that would reasonably work outside of a step down transformer...and I'm not 100% convinced a step down transformer will work.  Either way, the cost of a transformer, though, is too high to be justifiable.  I will just rewire the stator to a 3x4c configuration instead.

My goal was to try and find a way to make it work without re-arranging the coils...becuase I wanted to find a way for it to be easy.  I don't think it's possible to do "easy" this time, though....not unless you got 100v worth of batteries. 

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 08:43:37 PM »

Right.  (As was pointed out already.)

An electrolytic capacitor is a coil of metal for the positive plate, a chemical bath (connected to by the UNcorroded metal can) for the negative plate, and a layer of carefully cultivated corrosion between them for the thin insulation (dielectric) between the two, where "the capacitance happens".  The corrosion layer is built by an electrochemical reaction driven by the positive charge on the plate, and during manufacture the voltage is started low (with a current limit - like a resistor) and gradually raised as the layer forms and thickens, able to take progressively higher voltages, until the design thickness is reached.

A can of liquid can have more than one foil plate wrapped up in it, of equal or differing sizes.  This produces one capacitor for each plate, with separate positive and a common negative terminal.

If you charge it backward the chemical reaction cleans off the layer.  Then the current electrolyzes the solution and the gas pops the seal and blasts the surroundings, and it's dead.  Ditto of it's fed too high a voltage for the thickness of the layer and a substantial current flows.

When discharged the layer very gradually degrades.  In use the layer is maintained by a little leakage current rebuilding any thin spots.  You can leave it discharged (off) for months, but if it's discharged for years you have to work it up gradually.  With an old tube radio from the attic you can do this over about a day with a variable transformer supplying lowered line voltageu, raised in several steps.  (With modern semiconductor stuff you can do that to the raw caps on the supply, but if it's a regulated or switching supply the stuff downstream may go from no power to full voltage suddenly at some stage, so you might "blow off" some aged electrolytic on the boards.)

For AC you can make a "non-polarized" capacitor by putting two (identically sized) capacitors in series.  At first they aren't charged and get cycled both backward and forward.  But the leakage is mainly when they are charged backward, and this acts as a rectifier.  Within a few cycles (and long before they build up a lot of pressure or damage the insulating layer) they develop a DC charge.  They cycle between no-charge and double-voltage, rather than between forward-and-backward chage, and thus operate normally.  The forward leakage currents rebuild the insulating layer much more effectively than the reverse currents tear it down, so it stays OK.

You can tie the negative pins and use the positive pins for the terminals of the resulting combined capacitor, or tie the positives and use the negatives.  The usual approach is to tie the negatives, so the cans are tied together and don't need to be insulated from each other.  A "non-polarized electrolytic" is one of those two-capacitors-in-one-can arrangements, with the central negative pin not brought and the can insulated.

You CAN put SLIGHTLY different caps in back-to-back series, but they divide the voltage unevenly, in inverse proportion to their capacitance.  The smaller cap has to be the full voltage, the bigger one doesn't fully charge and may degrade as a result.  But going too far may cause issues with the leakage-to-give-dc-charge bit, so it's better to just use two identical caps.

Plus-to-minus just give you a combined cap that's still polarized.  Feed it AC and, maybe within minutes, the insulating layer breaks down, it generates gas, and jets chemicals or explodes.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 02:49:23 PM »
In high school the electronics lab benches had a power switch to make it easy to shut down in a hurry if something went up in smoke...

We would take a power cord with alligator clips on the wires, clip a 20 volt capacitor to them, plug it in and hide it behind something. The noobs would drop stuff on their bench, reach over and flip the switch without checking to see what was plugged in(something they were supposed to do). *BANG* aluminum confetti and stink all over their bench and project. Taught them to clear their power source BEFORE turning it on...

BruceDownunder

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 11:13:51 PM »
Hi .

I've lots of F&P washing machine motor pics of my many conversions on "THE BACKSHED"  just search for me,brucedownunder photo album or posts and go from there. 

It was many years ago ,same as Brian(Hello Brian) ,"Ruddeycrazy". ..   Many of us formed thebackshed ,gee, must be 20 years back now?.  It's still going and F&P conversions were all the rage in those days . Another washing machine motor I have played with is the LG similar style motor ,just a fair bit stronger in the metal support Dept,. I think ?.

All sorts of wiring diagrams ,metal works, blade  construction, tail details ...... It's all there ,take you a few days to read.

Bruce

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 10:07:12 AM »
Hi .

I've lots of F&P washing machine motor pics of my many conversions on "THE BACKSHED"  just search for me,brucedownunder photo album or posts and go from there. 

It was many years ago ,same as Brian(Hello Brian) ,"Ruddeycrazy". ..   Many of us formed thebackshed ,gee, must be 20 years back now?.  It's still going and F&P conversions were all the rage in those days . Another washing machine motor I have played with is the LG similar style motor ,just a fair bit stronger in the metal support Dept,. I think ?.

All sorts of wiring diagrams ,metal works, blade  construction, tail details ...... It's all there ,take you a few days to read.

Bruce

Bruce!

good to see you kinda sorta posting again!

Yup , been quite a while since back then. A whole two job companies for me.

The F&Ps are starting to show up more & more in the washing machines here in the USA now. So they're becoming easier to find here in these parts.

Cheers

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

BruceDownunder

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 10:48:38 PM »
Hello from down under ,

I found a couple of pics of the Searly rooftop air-con cooler motor,.  This motor was played with years ago to see if it would do the work ,like the F&P and LG motors.

I played around with a few of them ,easy to rewind, fairly strong , big outside diameter for maybe a slow rpm generator.  the stator inside was stationary ,while the magnet fixed outer ring spun. (if the pics don't appear, sorry,I'm a dumbarse in that dept.)OK, that don't work for me -so try this Brucedownunder  album at  "thebackshed"

I know this is nothing F&P , but maybe it's interesting to some of you ... /Users/bruce/Desktop/IMG_0419.jpg.zip/Users/bruce/Desktop/IMG_0420.jpg.zip

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:34:13 AM by BruceDownunder »

makenzie71

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 08:47:33 AM »
I got the stators rewired and mounted back in place and did a load test.  Connected to my bank (voltage was pretty low) it only did 220w/10amps before overpowering my drill versus the 70w/3amps it did before rewiring.  I wired it up in a way that I "should" be able to get the phases timed to run all in parallel to one another so I could run it through one rectifier, but I may have to give that up...we'll see.

https://youtu.be/qZlT_ITlrUA