Author Topic: Anyone dealt with "Hurricane" wind turbines?  (Read 1763 times)

makenzie71

Anyone dealt with "Hurricane" wind turbines?
« on: April 03, 2020, 09:28:32 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HURRICANE-VECTOR-110-VOLT-WIND-TURBINE-GENERATOR-KIT-2500-WATT-1000-CONTINUOUS/274312972523?hash=item3fde53c8eb:g:hO4AAOSw1LJd3XKT

Okay I had a few people ask me about a particular product that prompted me to ask this seller about if he'd allow me to demo one...which he couldn't do because I'm using and posting videos of iSta Breeze products...which lead to him stating it's physically impossible for me to be getting the results I'm getting from my iSta Breeze i1500 (I really haven't considered the results I've gotten to be particularly spectacular :/ ).  So now I'm genuinely curious...at the time I inquired about the product in question (an inverter) I didn't know he sold these turbines.  Now I know he sells something that would be competition to iSta Breeze...and now I really want to see this turbine next to the i1500.

Have any of you guys dealt with these "Hurricane" turbines?  I'm just trying to gather up as much info as I can before I start putting the funding together to get one.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Anyone dealt with "Hurricane" wind turbines?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 12:23:38 AM »
"hurricane" means it needs one to get to rated speed.
The blades are only 80 inches.
Or 88 inches, depending on which part of the ad you read.

This is just another "MORE POWER" ad.
And it might be 1500 Watt peak, again, depending on which part of the ad you read.

And it may be meant to output 110V or maybe 24V, depending on which part of the ad you read...

Look closely - there's a photo of a power drill driving the generator, just like you have.  Theirs must be a NREL Scientifically Calibrated Power Drill which is what makes all the difference.

But do your magic and try to get one for free - you've got a good thing going. 
Don't stop now just because there's a guy on the internet like me who insists on being reasonable!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

makenzie71

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 12:40:19 AM »
That ad is something special, right?  I don't think I want to try and get one for free...that might make me biased and more forgiving.  Or maybe I can get all my subscribers to pitch in $2!  I wanted to spend some time playing with different kinds of inverters, which is what I hit the guy up about...it's what I've specifically been asked by some of my viewers about...but him being offended by my iSta Breeze videos has really grabbed my attention.  I now really want to see one of these "Hurricane" turbines in person and run it against the i1500.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 01:12:29 AM »
Nah, get the layaway plan.  32 USD per month for 24 months.
Chances are it would blow itself apart before you were done paying for it. 
Like some Hyundais!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ElSuperFantasma

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 01:28:35 AM »
I agree  ;D

makenzie71

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 04:50:06 PM »
Layaway means I don't get it until it's paid off :D

I'm starting a whip-round though.  Anyone who wants to donate a $1~2 hit me up and I'll write your name on it in sharpie when it comes in :D

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 09:50:11 AM »
Is it me? Or do those look suspiciously like Missouri wind & solar's raptor G4's?
With the same "style" of advertising   8)

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

makenzie71

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 10:49:03 AM »
They look a little like G5 blades but I think it's just a generic design.  I do have a lot of suspicions about the turbine, though.  I'll end up getting one and confirming them...sometimes...

ElSuperFantasma

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 12:56:58 PM »

;D

makenzie71

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 06:24:17 PM »
I'll hold you to it :p

I got something "big" on it's way...once it's rolled up I'm going to invest in one of these 1000 watt 1500 watt max 2500 watt models

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 08:57:33 AM »
IF you do happen to snag one of either types; I'd like to see the insides.
There's a local Police station that invested in one, even though I tried to explain,,,,
Now it sits idle, I'm trying to bug them enough to let me use their FD's bucket truck to "remove" the eye sore and do some "testing" on it.
With everything being shut down except for essential workers , it'll probably still be there for the foreseeable future.

Stay Safe
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

makenzie71

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 11:06:16 AM »
That's my thing...I like pulling them apart and showing people how they're made.  The guy does have a video on youtube showing the rotor and stator so I don't expect to find any surprises...unless he's misrepresenting something.  It's a project I do definitely look forward to...especially the part where I can publish results along side the iSta Breeze and say "you can get this for this much money, or this for twice as much money".  Not something I would normally do, but will enjoy in this particular case.

makenzie71

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 03:35:12 PM »
I'm peppering my facebook groups and forums and stuff looking for suggestions for the next project after I wrap the ones up I'm already invested in...whatever gets the most attention I'm going to put together a kickstarter to try and fund it.  The Hurricane Vector is definitely going to be my contribution to the hat...but probably going to be at the TOP of the potential budget since it'll probably cost me about $1000 for the turbine, wire, tower, and a couple of small inverters to handle the power.

If you guys have any ideas of small equipment you'd like to see me use not quite the way the manufacturer intended just to see how it holds up feel free to make the suggestion :D...especially if it's a Hurricane Vector!

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 03:37:25 PM »
Is there a "Will it Blend?" angle here?  %-P

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

makenzie71

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 03:41:10 PM »
oh my that dude was great.  I remember him taking the camera back to best buy to try and get a refund.

Sometime similar I suppose lol.  NO BRAKES (or furls) BABY!

mmurray70

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 06:09:54 PM »
If you guys have any ideas of small equipment you'd like to see me use not quite the way the manufacturer intended just to see how it holds up feel free to make the suggestion

Id love to know the maximum RPM those ista breeze blades could take before they explode! Finding out would certainly make for an entertaining video lol.  ;D Be careful

makenzie71

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 09:04:27 PM »
I don't even know how I'd go about trying to do it lol...or how to go about doing it in a safe manner

makenzie71

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2020, 07:02:31 PM »
So I'm going to do a kickstarter thing to try and fund whatever project I'm working on over the Summer (hopefully by then I'll be fully caught up on my existing projects).  I asked around and this is my list so far:

$304 DC grid tie inverter

This going to be the goal of the kickstarter...something small, if I exceed it I can do to other projects but this is the starting point.  The point of this project will be to compare how this inverter works versus a generic $100 inverter like the ones I already use.  We're going to measure output from one turbine going through my power board into the cheap $100 inverter to get a baseline measurement.  Then we're going to swap the cheap inverter out for this one and see if there's any performance difference between the two.
Further, after the initial test with the turbine is conducted we're going to do essentially the same test with three 250w solar panels and see which model yields the best results.

$406 3-phase grid tie inverter

These inverters capable of accepting 3-phase AC current have been asked about quite a few times and it's a product I've really wanted to try out.  If we can hit $400 we'll try this 3-phase inverter instead of the DC grid tie inverter.  With this one we'll isolate one of the turbines and measure output from it through my existing board and get a baseline for how it's performing now.  Then we'll disconnect it from the power board and run it straight through this inverter to see what kind of differences we can get.

$775 The aforementioned Hurricane

This is a turbine I've come across that's really caught my interest.  I feel it would be pretty comparable to the iSta Breeze i1500 and I'm really interested in pitting the two against one another to see which one gets the best results.  If we can get the $775 it'll take to get the thing here I'll put it up at the same height, same wire, same rectifier, same everything as the i1500 and we'll get side by side results.

$780 A fancier Chinese vertical turbine

This is a turbine suggested to me.  I haven't heard of them before but I would really like to see a consumer level vertical turbine that will actually produce a usable amount of power.

$975 A turbine I've never heard of before...

Same as the vertical turbine, this is a model I had suggested to me.  The person who suggested it says he's had very good luck with the company's smaller models.  It's a design that's new to me and it's something I would really like to take apart and see how much of it is "fancy shrouding" and how much of it is unique design.

$1240 The same Hurricane turbine but it includes one of those three phase inverters

This is the same Hurricane vector as described above, but it includes a three phase grid tie inverter.  If we can hit this target point we'll conduct the same tests I described above...we'll pit the Hurricane against the i1500 and we'll pit the expensive 3-phase inverters against running a bridge, batteries, and a cheap eBay/Amazon inverter.

And, just for mmurray70 I'm looking for a set of i1500 blades that I can tie to a gas motor and see if I can blow them up.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 09:47:52 PM by makenzie71 »

mmurray70

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 12:35:23 AM »
And, just for mmurray70 I'm looking for a set of i1500 blades that I can tie to a gas motor and see if I can blow them up.

Awesome, cant wait to see that video lol :)

Be nice to see how the larger chinese turbines perform. The ones with fiberglass blades around 3m rotor dia, sold under a bunch of different names. Something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32816836816.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.52389a352iP6pg&algo_pvid=5e2d8e31-c42c-483f-a039-cc2a1fb6914c&algo_expid=5e2d8e31-c42c-483f-a039-cc2a1fb6914c-9&btsid=0ab6f83115872704689886926e0a06&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

makenzie71

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 12:43:59 AM »
Thats one that pops up on my searches from time to time and it’s intriguing.  Every time i actually go looking, though, it’s either not available or i ain’t got that much play money.  I’ll put it in the hat.  It’s something that might be more comparable to the Heli 2.0.