Homebrewed Electricity > Other

Generator trouble

(1/2) > >>

bigrockcandymountain:
I have a 7000w cheap chinese gas generator that I use for backup power for the house and other portable power.  It starts and runs great but lately it isn't really working.  It was running a 1500w heating element and suddenly started pulling the engine down and eventually quit.  Now when I run it even without a load connected it pulls the engine down. 

It isn't the usual fuel flow, plugged carb stuff.  I went through all that.  It seems like the engine is labouring.  Almost like a bearing seizing up, but not that because when you pull the cord immediately after shutdown, it spins freely.

I am leaning toward a shorted generator winding, but there is no smoke or anything so I am not sure.  I know some of you guys are way better with generators than I am so fire away with suggestions. 

Also, any advice on testing the windings and other generator end components would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Derek

MattM:
Did you check the oil level.  Generators built today kill when oil gets low and in some cases if its just opaque from use.

dnix71:
Worn bearing on the gen. With the engine running, the slop is enough to allow the rotor and stator to touch, but not spinning there is no interference. Or the woodruff key has slipped/sheared and the engine timing is off.

SparWeb:
Have you made any progress on this?

Have you removed the alternator to investigate it separately from the engine?

bigrockcandymountain:
Nope, sorry.  We got to our busy time of year and i guess i pur this on the back burner.  I will hopefully get to it fairly soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version