Miscellaneous > Logged in diaries

An Proto-Teach Éireannach

(1/119) > >>

Scruff:
Welcome to the Irish Proto-House

Someone ought to tidy up in here.

I had to fire the maid. They kept filing my French and German coloured ferrules in the same component drawer...shucks... ::)

We're running from utility power with some unsanctioned feedback.

Let's start at the Powerplant.

Home of the one and only Mk-V Best in it's Class Battery Hospital.

and a SB1700 transformer GTI in grey. Now 7 years old. I've had it a week.

I've a rather humble solar array...grid tied isn't my thing but I do use a lottov power...

another 400W here

I'll start that truck when I finish everything else.

I've 12kWh of lead earmarked for her and 90A of solar controllers....some of which may become mains chargers or hybrid...
I might give her 3 phase...I might give her a lottov things...we'll see, in time..

On the subject of vehicles; I'm also working on a propulsion system for my Hover Van.

Those thin film solar are all defective but working. If I unplug any of them I get less power so I'll just run them to the bitter end.

We have some horsepower at the end of the garden I'm wondering how to put into a cable.

This is Lead-Fi, I've been working on today.

She's under test and performing excellently.
1.3kVA, 1.2kWh (to the load), 575W Charger, 720W Solar Ready, External Battery Connector, TN-S Earth
110Ah 24V AGM lead, made of 2S6P assorted 7Ah and 24Ah Yuasa Batts.
76Ah plated capacity.

It's a phenomenal battery.

Today I gave her a second meter because the upper one's amp reading is impossible to calibrate.
The new meter the voltage cal is off but the current is correct. Huzzah 2 meters that complimentary half work right.

I've also spent the day improving the cooling.

Max duty is holding 45°C (100% Charge, 100% Load)
Max Charge 30°C
Max Load  tomorrow then tidy.

Lead-Fi has a sister.
Li-Fi.

Li-Fi is lighter, electronics heavy far more expensive to build & charges faster.
Lead-Fi has more capacity and is somewhere around double to 3 times the weight.
Efficiencies are similar (lead still under test).
Power delivery is similar. Lead has a lighter more efficient inverter with an extra 100VA.

Li-Fi is 1kWh (to the load), 1.2kVA, 475W Charger, 200W Solar Ready , 144Ah CALB LiFePO4 TN-S Earth

They are identical case sizes.
There's a lot said about lithium and lead performance. Not so much of it is measured.

Scruff:
Lead-Fi has graduated bench test.
She's well able to hold her own against Li-Fi, in a lottov ways she's better but we can attribute most of those bordline benefits to the associated hardware and system voltage. The +20% C20 discharge capacity bonus is not to be sniffed at though.

Case temps with inverter 100% duty stabilised @ ~37°C

She's 1kWh at C2. I've some more testing to do on battery and round trip efficiency. Charge times are the same as Li-Fi but C5.5 is hot enough for sealed lead. I could go C0.5 on LiFePO4 (but not with any off the shelf charger...I have ways though..Mwahaha!)
I often charge flooded at C3 but they do get thirsty.

I bet you'll be interested in the efficiency results...I'll pull out my LiFePO4 results to compare. As far as I have seen the batteries are very high 90s% it's the inverters and chargers are letting the side down and mine are not inefficient by standards, by a long short.

I've round trip on LiFePO4 of ~60%, battery efficiency ~98%. Charge Envelope 15% > 85%
Preliminary AGM results looks like 60% too but it's not a clean result because I was tinkering.

Bruce S:
I'm a little confused by the term Li-Fi , are these what we would call LiFE batteries or are they something a bit different.

Trying to find more info on these to have a look too.

Pretty cool looking setup. Except for the expensive resistor now link  :o.

Thanks
Bruce S

SparWeb:
Thank you for the tour of the sunny Isle.
Your assortment of panels looks like my mishmash.

Welcome to Fieldlines!

Scruff:

--- Quote from: Bruce S on July 01, 2020, 10:12:15 AM ---I'm a little confused by the term Li-Fi

--- End quote ---

Hi Bruce,

It's just a name. It's inspired by the term wi-fi... the fi is meaningless wireless?...internet?!

Li-Fi is the name of the genset who's prime mover is coincidentally a LiFePO4 CALB Battery.
Lead-Fi is a sister set. Same second names see...

Quite often if I don't know the answer I just make one up...you'll get used to it... ;D

--- Quote from: SparWeb on July 01, 2020, 12:15:34 PM ---Thank you for the tour of the sunny Isle.

--- End quote ---

Ah well tis a little bigger than my workshop now...but not much.

--- Quote from: SparWeb on July 01, 2020, 12:15:34 PM ---Your assortment of panels looks like my mishmash.

--- End quote ---

I'm highly suspicious they're underperforming...there's 3 different breeds...hard to tell with all this rain we're having.
Someone will be along to fix those any day month now.

--- Quote from: SparWeb on July 01, 2020, 12:15:34 PM ---Welcome to Fieldlines!

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Nice forum you have here. My BS-o-meter hasn't tripped once since I started reading...bittova hidden gem this one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version