Remote Living > Lighting

A dirt simple LED lighting low voltage disconnect

<< < (2/4) > >>

richhagen:
Here it is in its temporary home and working to earn its keep. 

Sorry about the messy wiring and stuff, this is a temporary setup until I build a new power room in the basement there.  I want to add a bit more solar and storage and switch the building common area lighting between solar and mains via a DPDT relay as I have done some other places in the past to save on electricity costs down the road.  I will probably switch it from a 12V system to a 48V system, but I am experimenting with lithium ion batteries on this one as well.  I have a few BMS's paralleled on the bus bars here.  Some day I want to power a yacht's propulsion system with batteries and I need to figure out how to safely build large banks of them.  Rich

richhagen:
Ed, I have resistors from broken radios and televisions I took apart almost 40 years ago now, back when I was a kid.   I should have thought to use an old resistor for nostalgia on this, although most of those were silver 10% tolerance and some were no band 20% tolerance resistors, well the ones I did use were probably 5 or 10 years old anyway.  The 12V zener's were new, well, they were in the original Radio Shack (a store chain that went out of business here a few years back) blister pack, the plastic had yellowed.  I probably bought them for some project or other a decade or two ago and never used them.  Well now they will have some work to do.  As for the FET's, they are likely some I had bought for lighting constant current drivers when I was building a lot of LED lights in the past, probably purchased from 2005 to 2012 or so.  Rich

Bruce S:
Rich;
Pretty nifty. What type of LEDs are you using for this project and the grow light project?

Cheers
Bruce S

richhagen:
Bruce, you should recognize the LED lights, they are similar to what we put up in the Philippines.

The one on the right was one of the prototypes, that one was made around 2010, the one on the left is a newer variant of similar design. 

The plant lights are of similar design, I have some with 4 red led's and one blue, and others with three pink 'plant' led's. 

Rich

Bruce S:
Yes I do!
I'm curious to see how well they held up to the extreme environment up in Pulau.
I still laugh when I see the picture of the elderly lady who out walked me up the hill with a large sack of rice on her back, and her excitement when she was able to touch that light that was installed in her home.

Cheers
Bruce S

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version