Homebrewed Electricity > Wind

My First Vawt Project

<< < (2/19) > >>

MagnetJuice:
Looks like a good design. My only concern is with the way the blades are supported. The upper and lower section of the blades could snap when is turning at full RPM.

A blade with a mass of 4.5 kg will have an effective mass 30 times that much when the turbine is spinning at 150 RPM.

If it was my turbine, I would feel more comfortable if the blade had better support at the upper and lower sections.
A stainless steel cable from the hub plate to the blade could help with that.

Ed

SparWeb:
Looking good.
I'd second the suggestion to have a diagonal brace, though for compactness you could add the strut in between the two horizontals.  Easier to attach at the existing bolt points.  I'd avoid cables because the load alternates from tension to compression - a cable would snap tight, loosen, snap, loosen...

Have you done anything with the alternator connections?  I expect your VAWT will turn <100 RPM. 

MagnetJuice:
SparWeb is right; the diagonal brace should be solid.

I forgot about the wind hitting the other side on the way back.

Ed

tjm2000:
That is a valid concern, and I did think of it after I had wrapped the wing in fiberglass. I have plenty of extra foam cutouts so I will throw together another set of blades that have provisions for extra bracing if I have any issues.
Why do you think the rpm is likely to be less than 100? From what I have read, a loaded tsr of around 2.5-3 is achievable.
If I do not achieve 150rpm I was going to shorten the diameter.

MagnetJuice:
These are some of my calculations.

Of course, I know that the results could vary; it depends of the equations and calculators that are used.

Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version