Author Topic: Tornado Viewed from Underneath  (Read 1037 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Tornado Viewed from Underneath
« on: June 02, 2020, 11:06:34 PM »
I had fun last weekend.  Glad to say it was only fun and nothing else.
This is what a tornado looks like from underneath as it develops the funnel cloud. 
In this case, directly over my house:

I had the presence of mind to hit record on the camera before ducking back into the house to make sure everything was secure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkzOJkqS-c8

Since it also passed directly over my weather station, I thought it might have measured some interesting data.  Sorry, not really. 
The record shows that the pressure dropped very low, and then the wind "came about" a full rotation, but that doesn't tell the whole story, does it??

Anyway, all safe and sound, with only some interesting pictures to show for it.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

wbuffetjr1

Re: Tornado Viewed from Underneath
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 07:32:26 AM »
Wow That is crazy, Spar!!

mbouwer

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 03:29:55 PM »
If you see a tornado coming your way.
What can you do to secure your mill?

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 03:35:38 PM »
Just thing of the amount of energy needed to drop the temperature from 20C to 15C?
Wow!
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:41:10 PM »
I had fun last weekend.  Glad to say it was only fun and nothing else.
This is what a tornado looks like from underneath as it develops the funnel cloud. 
In this case, directly over my house:

(Attachment Link)

I had the presence of mind to hit record on the camera before ducking back into the house to make sure everything was secure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkzOJkqS-c8

Since it also passed directly over my weather station, I thought it might have measured some interesting data.  Sorry, not really. 
The record shows that the pressure dropped very low, and then the wind "came about" a full rotation, but that doesn't tell the whole story, does it??

(Attachment Link)

Anyway, all safe and sound, with only some interesting pictures to show for it.

I used to storm spot and saw that to many times...

ElSuperFantasma

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 03:33:58 AM »
One of the most horrifying things for me is a tornado. I have seen funnel clouds touching down real close to my property. Every time weather gets crazy around this time of the year those things are pretty much embedded in terrible thunderstorms.

I will be working soon on building an above ground shelter.

Storms around here are not pretty.

TSG

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 02:45:03 PM »
Yeah I am on the northern edge of tornado alley so severe weather gets my attention fast. Had one last night that the sky went green south of me. I haven't seen the hail reports yet but I am sure some farmers got hit. I had a 75mph wind gust out of it, and continuous lightning. Makes storm reporting on the ham rig fun LOL I do have lightning protection that is supposed to survive a direct hit but I don't want to find out of it works! I make really quick reports and put the mic down! I need to setup a bluetooth microphone for that radio... so I am not hanging onto a mic connected to a 17 foot tall lightning rod...

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 08:45:14 AM »
Woah!  Crank that tower down when the clouds turn green.
My camera didn't really capture the colours I was seeing but there was an intense cyan to be seen between the folds of dark cloud bottoms.

You remind me of the old aviation story, about the pilot who got in trouble, called Mayday, and crashed.  Never released his firm grip on the microphone the entire time.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 02:25:21 PM »
The 2m/70cm antenna is on a tripod on the roof over the bathroom, not on any of the towers. I don't need a lot of height from it to make contacts to 60+ miles.

JohnMason

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 08:47:37 PM »
Great capture!

I've lived in tornado alley all my life and have never seen one. It wasn't for lack of trying however.

Thanks for sharing