Remote Living > Housing

Passive solar shop build

<< < (2/13) > >>

Mary B:

--- Quote from: bigrockcandymountain on August 20, 2020, 05:01:00 PM ---That is good to hear.  I am hoping to keep this around 10c 50f all winter with no active heat system or very little.  It goes down to -40 the odd time here, but not for long.  Usually nights are -20c in the middle of winter. 

I figure I would rather spend the money that would go to a heat system on insulation.  It should work out about even, but quite a bit more work.

--- End quote ---

-28c is a typical Mid January temp overnight, can get a solid week of -17c high temps...

bigrockcandymountain:
Wow mary, your making me wonder if this might be a touch overkill.  Oh well, hopefully it is room temp all winter with no heat.  I wouldn't mind that one bit. 

SparWeb:
Thank you, too BigRock. 
That SHG calculator will be handy to me, too.
At my latitude (and yours too I assume) the SHG is actually strongest in spring and fall. 
Intensity AND angle matter.

MattM:
Rock wool is worth the price of admission in many ways.  I'd want at least part of any exterior void with it for sound deadening.

bigrockcandymountain:
I have been pondering back and forth again on mineral wool.  As far as sound deadening, I think cellulose is close. They are both fantastic though.  My house has 15" rock wool and one of the most frequent comments we get is how quiet it is. 

They benefits of passive house are way more than just saving money on heating.  My biggest observation living with this house has been peace of mind. 

One morning was about -40 and the propane didn't want to flow.  The house was still cozy and warm, so I just left it and didn't worry and soon the sun hit the tank and the problem fixed itself.  A normal older house you would be pretty panicked to get the heat back on.

Another thing is the price of energy.  So the price of propane goes to $20 a gallon.  We can still work with that. In fact I advocate the price of energy should be higher.  After all, people won't conserve something that is cheap. 

Comfort is another thing.  It's pretty hard to explain, but a house with no drafts, nice humidity and fresh air via an HRV is way more comfortable than one that is just warm from a furnace working over time. 

So quiet, comfortable, and ready for any disaster are the 3 reasons to build a passive house that I preach to most people.  Most people that build new houses don't really care about saving on energy bills in my experience. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version