Remote Living > Housing

Passive solar shop build

<< < (12/13) > >>

Mary B:
Have to live here to understand how destructive that wind is. It beats the crap out of everything.

Can always tell an out of state driver on a day with 50mph gusts... they are allover the road while we may twitch back and forth a little as we correct for the wind buffeting the car around. Same for truckers. See them pull off and park while MN truckers keep going. MN trucker watch the trailer close, if it starts lifting they correct and slam it back down. Just takes a quick swerve a foot one way or the other to stop it from flipping. Its a hoot to see a trailer in front of you right on the verge with the tires on one side skipping on the road... and coming out from behind a grove is a LOT of fun. It has picked me up and dumped me in the other lane before I get it back under control... that happens in winter on ice a LOT.

Winds can gust 75mph in winter storms that last 3 days... that can peel shingles off, beats the antennas up bad... this is from one of those kind of storms. 1/4 inch 6061-T6 inch aluminum plate, the side opposite the antenna used to have a piece of 1x1x1/4 inch aluminum angle bolted to it as a stiffener. That sheared off and was not found until months later, 100 feet from the antenna location. It was bent 45 degrees, bolts had pulled thru it... this antenna is only 25 feet tall aluminum tubing that reduces in size to 1/2 inch at the tip.

SparWeb:
A little off topic, but still about wind, visitng my parents today (first time in a long time) we got out the sailboat, fixed it up, and went out on the river.  I found myself wishing for wind, any wind...

I was NOT wishing for a Minnesota Nor'wester, though!

bigrockcandymountain:
Here is the culmination of a lot of planning and effort.  I know it doesn't look like much, but it is the icing on the cake of our off grid system. 

The wall thimble is triple wall and set up like a concentric vent, so the outside air draws in around the exhaust pipe to feed combustion air and cool the pipe where it goes through the wall. 

Start the generator and flip 3 switches and the house batteries charge and i can weld and run big tools directly off the generator in the shop.  The waste engine heat and some of the exhaust heat should make the shop nice and warm.  It is kind of a trigen but not quite I guess. 

SparWeb:
That's a double wall pipe?  It looks very skinny.

Does the heat exchange cool the exhaust enough that condensation could be a problem?

bigrockcandymountain:
Just the wall thimble is double wall, not the flex pipe.  And no, it only cools 18" of the exhaust pipe so no condensation issues. 

Calling it a trigen is a bit optimistic, but it does extract a small amount of the exhaust heat so maybe it counts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version