Remote Living > Transportation

personal vehicle comment

<< < (6/6)

SparWeb:

--- Quote from: Simen on September 28, 2020, 04:35:29 AM ---
--- Quote ---In another manner of challenging your assumptions, it is not possible for me to walk into a Nissan dealership and get helpful answers about the Leaf.  I have tried.  Nobody there knows anything.  I've had the same experience with a Chevrolet dealership.  So I am very frustrated by this - I can't get up close and personal with these things to understand what any of them are about, without going to greater much lengths than I would normally do to get acquainted with a regular gasoline car before buying.  If I want to test drive a Leaf, the dealership has to order one from another city transported on a truck to my city.

--- End quote ---

That might be due to the US car industry/dealers attitude to electric cars in general? :)

--- End quote ---

It's macho BS, is what it is!

Simen:

--- Quote from: SparWeb on September 30, 2020, 12:58:02 AM ---A Tesla would have been an interesting contender in this lineup.  The article does not explain why it was excluded, whether Tesla did not offer a vehicle, or the authors wanted to shine light on other options, or some other reason.
--- End quote ---

The test included only 'mid-range' cars in terms pf price, i think - these cars costs between $25k.- and $35k.-, while a Tesla are twice as much (at least). In Norway, BEV's are excluded Vat and most other taxes, in addition to free parking and free toll-road passing. All this to promote the changeover to an all-electric fleet. I think the government have decided that from 2025, all new cars sold have to be BEV's. (Hybrids might be included...)

MattM:
Those tax breaks move money from the taxpayer to the manufacturer.  Natural market forces are a better indicator of what is the best method to travel.  Like RE is much more expensive than grid power, EV travel is similar.  I'll switch to EV when it is good for my personal interests.  So far I just am not seeing the big picture being an improvement without a subsidy that is shifting wealth against our national interests.

jlsoaz:
I completed the process of getting the Tesla last week by finally receiving the more permanent plates and registration in the mail and affixing them to the car.  That's about 3 months of back-and-forth with a state motor vehicle department, my bank, and the seller to get things straightened out, and I'm now carrying a big debt, but it is done.  I do regret my testiness in responding to one of the points here a few weeks ago, and I apologize.

On other matters, I've had two problems with the vehicle so far that both necessitated local Tesla service center visits and lost time, but were covered under warranty, so that's good, and the service center was professional and did the job.  Clearly I'm not a DIY kind of person, and so that is different from a lot of the people here, but I think there is room for all of us in these things.

on a separate but related note, some of the DIY people here might enjoy a youtube channel called "Rich Rebuilds", if they have not already known about him.  He has been living in the US State of Massachusetts and taking advantage of some "right to repair" laws there to repair Teslas and other vehicles on his own.  He has done a wonderful job of irritating an awful lot of Tesla/Musk fans/sycophants, which has been a big part of why I like to watch his humorous videos, even if I am clueless about the repair-the-vehicle part of things.

SparWeb:
Congratulations on the new vehicle.  I hope it's as fun as they say it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version