Steam Engines > Refrigeration

Thermal mass in a freezer

<< < (4/4)

tanner0441:
Hi

I will second the dry ice comment a few years ago I had 3 bags of dry ice pellets to shrink some dowels prior to fitting them into a large press die. I put them in an under counter upright freezer, for the time they were in there the compressor didn't run, the thermometer was pinned to the stop and every thing in the freezer was solid, anything like chops or sliced meat took ages to defrost enough to separate them. It sublimates as well so no spillage of liquid as it thaws out.

What we saved on electricity not running the freezer we spent on the microwave defrosting things.

Brian

Arctic Taco:
I tend to use passive means whenever possible in my cabin in Ak.
At home in the fall, I just use a few 2 quart jugs of water. Leave them in a cooler out on the porch-stuff will stay frozen for about a week before things get thawed on their own
I live off grid and use a Dometic 12v fridge during the summer which with 4 jugs and otherwise filled with food and just plug the fridge in during the day- my battery bank is pretty old- and it rarely gets up to 46 by morning when I plug it in.
Winter is a different story altogether, leave it outside and it stays frozen(but check frequently as winters aren’t as cold as they used to be) refrigerated items sit on the floor near the door.
Long story short, thermal mass is always a good idea, save energy as well as short term outrage insurance.

Mary B:
Living in MN I have debated putting a glycol loop in the fridges freezer and one outside. Use it to move cold inside during the winter, would need to come up with a fan control to turn the fan on between the freezer and fridge to move cold air...

machinemaker:
beef, chicken broilers, turkeys, or pork is what we use.
Kent

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version