Author Topic: Loading?  (Read 819 times)

GreenTeam

Loading?
« on: December 31, 2020, 08:57:09 AM »
What is loading the alternator?
As far as I understand, I can build ( insert any machine here )
and than rectify it to + and -.
And than this, I can go straight to a charge controller that charges a battery bank
yes?
And than I see, others asking if its "loaded", what does this mean?

Scruff

Re: Loading?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 09:08:17 AM »
It means add a load like a battery or a battery + an appliance if the battery is full.
You need load as a speed controller/voltage clamp.

Very few setups are robust enough to go; alternator -> charge controller -> battery/load
most are; alternator -> battery -> charge controller/diversion controller -> load

GreenTeam

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 09:19:34 AM »
Why is this?
I would suspect that "loading" an alternator would make it work harder no?
Also, I thought that just having a charge controller and battery on alternator would not
be as much work no?
So, the load makes it work harder or spin slower? I am totally confused already......

Scruff

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 11:04:45 AM »
Load does make the alternator work harder but we design them to work not to be unloaded. This means they are in danger of overspin or overvoltage when unloaded.
It also helps reduce hysteresis in the system giving the regulator a much easier time of it.

More accurate to say that load increases the torque required to turn the alternator...in some cases depending on the prime mover this will reduce rotational speed.

The battery acts as a voltage clamp in a lottov applications preventing overspin and overvoltage also absorbing transients. If you regulate the battery you need to regulate the field windings or rotational speed too.
If you regulate the load thereby regulating the battery it is much easier.

GreenTeam

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 02:42:58 PM »
Okay, so I think I grasped that.....
SO, lets go with Alternator Example A:
Designed to have an output of say 55 Volts to charge a 48 Volt Battery Bamk.
And, with nothing on the alternator it produces 55 volts
With out a load, if Alternator Example A is setup, and all the sudden the wind doubles or tripples the alternator can possibly
spin itself to death via producing to much Voltage and Amperage?

Than wouldnt Alternator Example A requirements be the 48V battery bank, Voltage Drop from the wind turbine to rectifier and batteries + load? ( what ever V+A this is )
And, if I have this correct, than really, I would need to produce an Alternator that is capable of ALOT more than 48V yes?
Why couldnt I just design for 48V and somehow do an electric or mechanical break so that I can forgo the math for figuring out the load?

Scruff

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 03:45:59 PM »
Okay, so I think I grasped that.....
SO, lets go with Alternator Example A:
Designed to have an output of say 55 Volts to charge a 48 Volt Battery Bamk.
And, with nothing on the alternator it produces 55 volts
With out a load, if Alternator Example A is setup, and all the sudden the wind doubles or tripples the alternator can possibly
spin itself to death via producing to much Voltage and Amperage?

100% load voltage of ~65V for 48V.
Open circuit would be waaaay higher. A 12v car alternator can reach 100V if you remove the battery. One way trip though.

Spin to death by flinging it's gubbins around due to excessive rotational speeds, blow the rectifier and melt the winding insulation.

Than wouldnt Alternator Example A requirements be the 48V battery bank, Voltage Drop from the wind turbine to rectifier and batteries + load? ( what ever V+A this is )
And, if I have this correct, than really, I would need to produce an Alternator that is capable of ALOT more than 48V yes?

A lot more.

Why couldnt I just design for 48V and somehow do an electric or mechanical break so that I can forgo the math for figuring out the load?

Because it affects everything, wiring size, magnetic fields, bearing size, input horsepower, mechanical retention etc etc..

If you want to skip the maths turn it with a drill and a load bank through a VA meter and apply your results to your intended application.