Homebrewed Electricity > Controls

Vfd motor matching

(1/3) > >>

bigrockcandymountain:
Ok so i have a lathe lined up.  It has been outside for 15 years but it is free and seems like it will be ok to start with.  It is about 18" swing. I'll do more details when i move it home in the spring.  It is frozen down for the time being. 

Anyway, i would like to power it with a vfd.  I found one that has specs as follows.
Input 200-240v 22a single phase
Output 10a 3 phase 0-300hz no voltage stated but i assume 240v

It is near me and less than $200 on Ebay.  It is weg brand, not chinese.

Here is the motor dataplate on the lathe.

What do you guys think.  Is it likely i can rewire this motor for 220v? I didn't look to see how many motor leads it has.  What is with the 2 speeds stated? And the 2 amperages?

Thanks
Derek

bigrockcandymountain:
I should add that i understand that 10a at 240v is only half the power of 10a at 440v.  My inverter only puts out 4400w continuous so I'm hoping to just run the existing motor at half rated kw and take lighter cuts than you normally would on an 18" machine

mab:
I'm not sure I can help much - that motor rating plate isn't telling me much - is the CAV the hp rating? I would guess it could be wired for 230, but as it's a dual speed motor you may find there's more wires inside than you can make sense of - but it may be worth having a look as there might be a wiring options diagram in there too.

The output voltage of the vfd will depend on the frequency - at very low speeds the voltage will be <<230.

If the vfd input is 22a @230v then that may translate to approx 10a @440v 3ph; also approximately matches your inverter rating. I'd be tempted to try it as is - but you may want to wait for more knowledgeable advice before following mine.

bigrockcandymountain:
I did a bit more digging and cav is for cavallo which is horse in italian.  So yes it seems it is 7hp at 1700rpm and 9.5hp at 3400rpm. 

I'm going to wait on the VFD i think and just try running it at 240v 3 phase. 

The lathe will do 76 to 1600 rpm with 3400rpm input.

With 1700 rpm input it will do 38 to 800 rpm. 

I could just put a single phase motor of either speed on it and put up with less speed options.  I kind of think the high speed might be better for what i will mostly be using it for.  My inverter would probably run a 5hp fairly easy. 

ruddycrazy:
Quite a few years ago when I setup my machineshop  using VFD's the biggest single phase to three phase was 3hp max, anything above that is three phase to three phase. Things may of changed over the years though but I do doubt there would be a single to three phase 7hp one out there.

Cheers Bryan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version