Homebrewed Electricity > Hydro

need some advice on penstock sizing

<< < (2/4) > >>

SparWeb:
And this

junglehydro:

--- Quote from: SparWeb on March 03, 2021, 11:46:13 PM ---Here's one thing I can give you:

--- End quote ---
Wow, thanks so much! that chart is amazingly useful, I was planning on eyeballing and then trial and error to optimize, so this at the minimum saves me a lot of time!

--- Quote from: SparWeb on March 03, 2021, 11:46:13 PM ---Oh, that's too bad that being in Columbia prevents you from importing powerspouts... or other stuff made in North America in general? 
Making it yourself is OK.  The spoons are a curious thing to be making yourself or trying to source locally.  How's that going?

--- End quote ---
Well it doesn't prevent me, but I was just thinking about doing it like this since this will make fixing things a lot faster if stuff breaks, and my business in the future will depend on it, so can't really be waiting weeks for new parts in case something happens. And a lot of deliveries get "lost" in the mail here, so the less expensive stuff I need to fly in the better.

So the spoons seem to be going ok, after some searching found a great 3d model based on the design in the book of Jeremy Thake. So I am having that printed and then cast in aluminium. And how do you mean curious, I was having a hard time finding them online at the right size, and this for sure is faster. Am waiting on the princing to find out if its also cheaper :-)

--- Quote from: SparWeb on March 03, 2021, 11:46:13 PM ---The nozzle is an open question - I'm looking at that other question you asked earlier, about regulating voltage. Wouldn't that mean you are going to need a variable nozzle?  That would be hard to set up.  Perhaps you plan to regulate voltage using a diversion load.  That could be easier but still demands a lot of finesse.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I have another topic in the controls section of the forum  ;D I am working with someone who knows about programming microcontrollers and such, and he is helping me attempt to build a load controller with 5kw diversion load.

SparWeb:
You have found a foundry to cast them - perfect!

Vortechs:
That sounds like a cool project.

I got spoons from this guy in Italy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/peltonturgo/15319820120/
They're really well made and reasonably priced. Easy enough to make up your own wheel with them. Originally I got one of the new ones from Powerspout but it was expensive flimsy crap.

junglehydro:

--- Quote from: Vortechs on March 09, 2021, 03:57:24 AM ---That sounds like a cool project.

I got spoons from this guy in Italy:
They're really well made and reasonably priced. Easy enough to make up your own wheel with them. Originally I got one of the new ones from Powerspout but it was expensive flimsy crap.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! I would love to post some pictures of the progress, but I currently have nowhere to host them. I used photobucket in the past but they seem to be pretty dead..

They look good indeed, although I prefer to have mine in aluminum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version