Homebrewed Electricity > Storage

Charging a 24v bank from a 48v bank...or vice versa...how to do it? Can it done?

(1/7) > >>

makenzie71:
So i have a bunch of different turbines running at 24v and 48v.  I want to simplify my load side...Is there a reasonable way to feed a 200 amp/hr 48v bank into or from a 100 amp/hr 24v bank?

Mary B:
24 to 48 volt DC/DC converter. No clue if they make one in that voltage range... I use 24 to 12 volt converters to run the ham radio gear...

Scruff:
48V -> 24V = easy peasy. MPPT Charge controller with current limiting.

24V -> 48V you can get MPPT boost but really rare, so rare that compatibility takes precedence over performance (Renogy).

You might find a DC-DC charger for this, it's getting popular with liveaboards although I have a problem with the bang for buck aspect of these compared to series alternators.

makenzie71:
That thought crossed my mind...the mppt charge controller...i just didn’t know if it’d try to suck my 48v bank dry. 

makenzie71:
So that's what I was concerned about...I have an MPPT charge controller that will do a regulated drop down to charge a 24v bank with a 36~70vdc input.  Problem is that it'll be trying to draw my 48v bank all the way down to 36v.

Maybe I can use a dump load controller...open the feed to the other bank up any time voltage gets above 52vdc...or maybe I can try running my Heli at 36v but I don't think it's going to like that...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version