Homebrewed Electricity > Hydro

My Jungle hydro project- 5kw pelton to power future eco-hostel

<< < (5/5)

Scruff:
Cheers Paul.

Apologies about my last response...I've regained my faculties now.

I've quite curious how to MPPT a turbine because I expect it's a solution MS don't cater for very well. The TS MPPT has a forced power curve profile that you can plot...I expect from trial and error. I hear it's prohibitively complex to implement with seems to make it exclusive to average users who often prefer a MidNite instead for simplicity.

I haven't tried either so I can't say. Just curious...
If I ever get a proof of concept together I'll let you know.
I've bookmarked your home site so I can copy your answers later.

Peace Out.

mab:
If i might answer your question to Paul:
It's actually quite simple to use mppt on a hydro generator as the output has a positive 'knee' I-V curve same as a solar panel (albeit not nearly so sharply curved) so a standard solar mppt controller will find the MPP.

I sometimes use a sunny boy 1200 on mine. The only 'issue' is that the 'E-today' figure on the display keeps going up and up until about 128kWh when it clocks round to zero, as it normally resets when it goes 'dark'  ;D .

Oh, and you still need a dump/diversion load in case the mppt cuts out/unloads the generator  - not as critical as a wind turbine  as the hydro generator will cope with free running, but the unloaded voltage (double or more) may well exceed the max input of your mppt controller.

clockmanFRA:
 :)

camillitech:

--- Quote from: mab on February 05, 2022, 11:58:45 AM ---If i might answer your question to Paul:
It's actually quite simple to use mppt on a hydro generator as the output has a positive 'knee' I-V curve same as a solar panel (albeit not nearly so sharply curved) so a standard solar mppt controller will find the MPP.

I sometimes use a sunny boy 1200 on mine. The only 'issue' is that the 'E-today' figure on the display keeps going up and up until about 128kWh when it clocks round to zero, as it normally resets when it goes 'dark'  ;D .

Oh, and you still need a dump/diversion load in case the mppt cuts out/unloads the generator  - not as critical as a wind turbine  as the hydro generator will cope with free running, but the unloaded voltage (double or more) may well exceed the max input of your mppt controller.

--- End quote ---

Hi Mab,

I ran an SB1200 for a year or two and found the same, it was a perfectly adequate inverter but then Hugh Piggott asked me to run a comparison with a Gin Long inverter for Michael Lawley of Powerspout. This I gladly did cos he supplied the Gin Long (now Solis) and I was doing a spreadsheet of readings twice daily anyway. So I ran the SB1200, Solis 1.5kW and an SB3800 for a month each and submitted the data to PS which they published at the time. The outcome being that whilst there wasn't much overall difference in performance The SB3800 being ever so slightly more efficient than the Solis which was better than the SB1200. However the Solis was by far the better inverter in features, menu, operation and price.
I'm only going down the DC coupling route cos I'm maxed out on AC coupled generation.

Cheers, Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version