Steam Engines > External Combustion

Recent activity

<< < (2/8) > >>

JW:
To speak to what I forgot to mention "clinkers"

There are none produced by this combustion system, the ash has a white residue powder. There is an agitator (bar that spins like a blender) on the fuel grate/support.   

JW:

Some pictures

Mary B:
How is the lifespan of the stirrer bar? Other designs had them and many took them out and scrapped them due to corrosion and wear making them last 2-3 months. Burning corn is some nasty stuff, lot of nitric acid forms. When I walked by the vent my nose would burn.

JW:

Ya I had that problem at first, thru continuous testing I found that if you make the shaft and agitator of thick gauge steel it will last longer. The shaft and bearing was 1in d the bar is over a 1/4in thick.

I am aware of the corrosive products be they are easy to see. Also I have sort off a zinc it wares out fast to protect the other metals, I think I refer to it as a catalyst in the patent. when you can burn as hot as you can reduces the nitric emissions, the hotter the better, I try to achieve a blue flame. There are quite a bit of protective coatings that are used.

Did you know the burning corn is totally unregulated by the EPA.

Of another concern is the use of a superheater, these can glow red. My preferred material is 316L SS.   

JW:

--- Quote from: JW --- when you can burn as hot as you can reduces the nitric emissions, the hotter the better, I try to achieve a blue flame.
--- End quote ---

I am wrong in this quote dang-it NOx emissions are increased with higher temps. here's a link  https://www3.epa.gov/region1/airquality/nox.html

--- Quote --- These emissions can be reduced by making process changes (such as modifications to the combustion process) or by installing air pollution control equipment (such as selective non-catalytic reduction (SNCR) or selective catalytic reduction (SCR)).
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---I am aware of the corrosive products be they are easy to see. Also I have sort off a zinc it wares out fast to protect the other metals, I think I refer to it as a catalyst in the patent.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version