Author Topic: Aged  (Read 1244 times)

tanner0441

Aged
« on: July 22, 2021, 07:04:33 AM »
Hi

I was asked earlier today what the Jumper inside a Li battery charger labeled "Aging" did.

I have never encountered it before and if my chargers are not faulty or running hot I tend to leave the lids on.  (having had a near disaster with an 18 Volt drill pack).
Has anyone on here encountered it?

Brian.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Aged
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 08:13:12 PM »
How hi-tech is this charger? Apple computers for many years know when the battery was made, and count charge and recharge cycles and depth of discharge. Those numbers are used to estimate how much capacity the cell/pack has left. Tesla cars do this also. Apple also avoids 100% charging and floats around the 95% level to avoid the internal damage going over 4.16v/cell.

An aging lithium cell will show changes to internal resistance and how long the passivation layer takes to clear when charging or discharging is started. That could mean a different charge routine for cell detected as past their prime.

tanner0441

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 09:49:46 AM »
Hi

I know nothing about the charger other than it has this jumper, I will try to find out more. 

There is a little script you can enter into your laptop to interegate the BMS for the number of charge cycles the pack has had to date.

I will find more about ithe charger including the make.

Brian

madlabs

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 11:08:50 PM »
Maybe try removing the jumper and see if there is a change in the charge profile. Perhaps it is to compensate for an aging pack?

tanner0441

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 12:44:20 PM »
Hi

I am waiting for a repply with more information.

Brian