Newbies > Newbies

Multimeter Help

(1/2) > >>

sr71p38:
I am not an electrical guy but I am very confused about something and I hope the community can help. I am trying to get my multimeter to read the amps out of my wind generator.  I have done a bunch of online research and I can't seem to get it to work.  I am sure it is something very simple but I am at a loss. 

I have placed the multimeter in line with the generator and the battery, I have even tried to put in a 10ohm resister at one point in-line and took out the bridge rectifier.  No matter what I do I can't get an amp reading with the multimeter.  I have tried both meters I have as well, thinking maybe something was wrong with my meter. 

I can get a voltage with the meter.  I have a bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt which when I hook it up I get all the necessary readings I just don't believe them. 

bigrockcandymountain:
I have pretty much the same meter.  Are you sure your turbine is producing amps? Do you have all 4 wires hooked up in their correct places? Is the shunt on the battery side of the rectifier in the negative line? Did you try the 2 shunt sensor wires both ways? It can be unclear which one goes where i think.

sr71p38:
bigrockcandymountain

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am getting a reading when I use the Bayite, I am just not currently sure it is correct in the Watt and Amps it is showing.  It seems really low.  I was trying to run a test to verify that it was showing the correct information by hooking a multimeter up and I get nothing from it when I set it to Amps. 

David

MagnetJuice:
David, what are you using for a load, and what is the resistance of the load?

It is also possible that the fuse in your multimeter/ammeter is blown.

Ed

sr71p38:
I was using the battery which is a 24volt battery.  I then used a 10ohm resistor.  The output from the generator at 1000rpm is supposed tob be 0.5amps.  I thought about the fuse, I need to pull the meter back apart to check but since I was not using the millamp port I didn't think it should matter. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version