Homebrewed Electricity > Wind

Report KD 718 about 16-pole PM-generator available

<< < (6/6)

Adriaan Kragten:

--- Quote from: bigrockcandymountain on February 27, 2024, 12:47:27 PM ---I'm pretty sure it's a Nema frame size 132M. 

Motor frame sizes lots of times have a letter suffix attached.  My 5hp is a 256U

213T is a common one for more modern motors. 

I read through this post from the start again.  I really love the progression of the thoughts and ideas.  In my opinion, it gets better with every new iteration.  I think i could pull off the machining on such a magnet rotor with just my lathe and shaper, plus a dividing head which i happen to have.

The magnet cost has become a way bigger issue, and the 3mm thick magnets are extremely helpful to keep that cost down. 

Reusing the original stator winding also keeps the cost down, and is a no brainer if it is intact.

My guess is that a complete generator for a 3m diameter turbine could be built for maybe $150 in magnets and whatever you can scrounge a motor for.  They are quite often almost free. 

I wish I needed another turbine.  I would be all over this.

--- End quote ---

The magnet costs are very low for the magnets used in these generators. I even found that the costs of neodymium magnets have been reduced a lot during the last year. Not only chapter 6 and 7 were reviewed but I have used the February 2024 magnet costs in all other chapters of KD 718. The original 16-pole generator with magnets size 40 * 15 * 5 mm has magnet costs of about € 41. The 32-pole generator as described in chapter 6 has magnet costs of only about € 27 because the used magnets size 40 * 7 * 3 mm are relatively cheap. I expect that these two generators can be used for the 3-bladed VIRYA-3B3 rotor with a rotor diameter of 3 m and a design tip speed ratio of 6.5 (see report KD 484). The generator as described in chapter 7 has magnet costs of about € 70 because the used magnets size 40 * 10 * 5 mm are also relatively cheap. It is expected that this generator can be used for the 2-bladed VIRYA-4.2 rotor which has a rotor diameter of 4.2 m and a design tip speed ratio of 8.

Compared to my older VIRYA generators with inclined 10 mm wide magnet grooves in the armature and a stainless steel shaft, these new generators are also cheaper because the original motor shaft can be used. It might even be possible to reduce the diameter of the origional short-circuit armature and glue an iron pipe to it. So if the correct pipe is available, one doesn't need a heavy iron bar for the armature. If you compare the magnet costs of these generators to the magnet costs of axial flux generators with the same maximum torque level, axial flux generators are much more expensive. This is because you need thick magnets to get an acceptable flux density in the large air gap. An extra advantage of these generators is that the housing is fully closed and this protects the winding and the magnets against water and dust.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version