Remote Living > Water

Water storage tank

(1/5) > >>

Frank S:
This is probably one of my larger builds that is not a building even though it will have an enclosure which will be a pump and filtration shack
3 years ago I bought a 3000 gallon pressure tank that was used as water storage the tank was rated to 60 PSI, about 6 months back I finally had it hauled to my place and dropped off in front of my shop and I have been wanting to put it to use ever since. So over the past couple of weeks I repaired the clean out man hole should be called the child hole because no one over the age of say 10 years old would ever be able to fit through an 8 by 14inch opening anyway.
Then I set about to add some ports nipples and valves for future use One end I just removed the cap that was on the coupling and installed a 3 inch gate valve the other end is where I did most of the work it had a 3" nipple sticking out which I welded on 2 2'pipe nipples and a 3/4" coupling then at the open end of the 3 inch nipple I welded a 3/8" thick washer with a 1 1/2" 12 ft long pipe in the center which extends almost to the other end of the tank internally this will be the out take for the water to be piped to the water tower at my house. the reason for this was I will be filling and removing the water from the same end but I wanted the out flow to be from the far end it is all about my planned circulation and continuous filtration flow scheme
the stand for the tank or tower if your will is just over 10 ft tall with a mezzanine just over 6 ft from what the floor level will wind up being this gives me a 5 ft by 8 ft floor area located about 4 ft below the bottom of the tank which will be the location of at least 1 possibly 2 35 to 50 gallon filter arrangements and several pumps
On both ends of the stand I mounted platforms for accessibility to the valves and piping without having to stand on a dang ladder I added a narrow catwalk along 1 side to access either end and a ladder stair up to 1 of the platforms
The tank is situated about 5 or 6 feet away from the well since I plan on constructing a windmill over the well
I will probably also have an electric pump for when there is no wind I have my 1.1 KW solar system that I may install on the tower later as well but I have a 50 amp 240v supply at the pile next to the stand. So wind solar or grid the means of getting water out of the ground circulated through filters and pumped to the house will have that problem covered
the tank is also high enough that it will gravity flow to the water tower at the house but not up into the tower I will be able to have non pressured flow to the garden or the yard
As with the existing water tower I have the capability to pump water into the storage tank from a truck tank or to refill the tank of a forest service fire truck but with the 3000 gallon storage I also have a 3 inch drop line as well as a 2 inch drop line

MattM:
With that big roof in the background it begs the question... rainwater collector?

Frank S:

--- Quote from: MattM on June 20, 2021, 11:25:49 PM ---With that big roof in the background it begs the question... rainwater collector?

--- End quote ---
Slated as a future system as a supplemental resource for lawn and garden irrigation
 Just as the 50 amp electrical supply will not be the primary energy resource for the well, or to power the filtration system.
 My overall long range plan is to have 75% of my grid power to be nothing but backup energy

clockmanFRA:

--- Quote from: Frank S on June 21, 2021, 12:38:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: MattM on June 20, 2021, 11:25:49 PM ---With that big roof in the background it begs the question... rainwater collector?

--- End quote ---
Slated as a future system as a supplemental resource for lawn and garden irrigation
 Just as the 50 amp electrical supply will not be the primary energy resource for the well, or to power the filtration system.
 My overall long range plan is to have 75% of my grid power to be nothing but backup energy

--- End quote ---

Frank S, I said something similar to your statement 21 years ago, now folk reckon that our project here in Normandy, France is very eco and sustainability aware.

Actually Frank when i worked it out we now save about $5000 a year against utilities bills, as one thing is for sure those so called main suppliers Bills will not get any cheaper.

We spent $7000 on 18kW 51 off PV panels, all except 3, were medium quality. The modern 120 cell monos are even cheaper nowadays at $110 per 370W panel.

Cabling etc about another $1000 but most from ebay or friends etc.

Equipment costs were minimal as most GTI's  and controls was used second hand, the only expensive thing was for 5kW PV on DC DC Chargers at about $1000,  (I use 5kW of PV to finish and float charge the Batteries.)

New Batteries, Lead Acid Marine/Golf cart type at 48v 62KW at a price of $130 per KW.......$6300

In 21 years we have changed all are batteries at least once.

Nice to see your works progressing, Nice one Frank!

tanner0441:
Hi

It must be very nice to have room to make plans like that come to fruition. With the filtration are you having UV as well? I added a submerciable 13W  UV to the water strage tank on my motor home. It doesnt need to run 24/7 just a couple of hours a day but it means I dont get the thin slimy film on the inside if the tank that is often ascociated with RV and marine fresh water tanks, it also means I can sterilise the tank when it's empty, avoiding chlorine flushes so often.

If I did it again I would pull water from the tank and circulate it through an outboard UV so the water is also moving.

As for the comment on things that are now "Trendy" I have a book from 1953.... "Heat pump applications for industrial processes."  My parents had solar hot water on their house and pool back in the early 70s

Brian.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version