Remote Living > Water

Water storage tank

<< < (2/5) > >>

Frank S:
My planning was when I started work on the water tank was at first to simply pour a pair of footings then set the tank and saddles on them, construct a windmill to pump the well water through a 300 lb sand/ charcoal then into the storage tank and leave it at that. Then simply pump the water from storage to my existing water tower I have at the house and rely on my final 3 stage filtration system to do the rest.
 Then the old tired brain cells began working over time stinking up the house the more i thought about it, the more I decided I should do more.
  For the past 3 years since I constructed my water system I have been hauling city water at 300 gallons a trip which hasn't been that bad, nor has it been something which has otherwise been time consuming or financially draining. We only go to town when we need supplies and always try to have an empty tank on my truck each time, sometimes I would porously have to drain out enough water from the tower onto the garden, the plants the wife has growing or on the lawn just to have enough empty volume in the tower to to accept a tank full of water before we headed to town.
 Every so often I completely drain the tower of its 600 gallons to be able to refill with fresh water this seems to have a positive effect on the longevity of my filters as well.
  So in thinking about my accepted routine if I am now going to be my own main supplier and if at all possible do not plan on having to chlorinate or otherwise chemically treat my storage, I would need to take my water production to the next level. The most logical course of action for this would be to elevate the storage tank and take advantage of gravity in the filtration process plus my well has a history of silting up with sand meaning the previous owners had to have it back flushed every few years although a lot of this I suspect was due to their having a 35 GPM pump in the well drawing the water through the strata at a high rate of flow.
  I know for a fact that the well service guy had to service the well every 3 or 4 years sometimes more often Of course it was in his best interest not to teach the folks how to take steps to prevent this from happening, that and most people would not have the resources or abilities available to that I have.
 My proposed continuous flow filtration system should #1 remove most pathogens should they exist prior to the water being pumped up into the storage tank and #2 reduce or prevent most soluble particulates from accumulating in the tank, #3 I will have the ability to back flush the well itself with clean water in much the same way a swimming pool system is flushed, should the need arise without having to pull the  well. The only time the well should have to be pulled would be to replace the so called leathers in the pump cylinder.
 And yes there are plans for continuous UV as well as infused aeriation in the works   

Bruce S:
Sure beats the hell out of my little salvaged 6gallon water tank sitting about 7 feet up from the ground so I don't have to go inside for "warm" water !!

B-)

tanner0441:
Hi

If you want to go the whole hog look at Ozone water treatment. It is used on a large scale by the water treatment companies, it is also used in public swimming pools to reduce or eliminate the need for chlorine. They also remove suspended solids by passing water into a storage tank then pressurise it to about 150 PSIG the releasing the pressure suddenly, that causes nuclearisation where bubble form on the suspended particles and carry them up to the surface where they are skimmed off. Bit like dropping those sweets into a bottle of Coke.

I'm not a lover of reverse ozmosis as it strippes everything from the water good or bad and more water goes to waste than is used.

Brian

MattM:
I can remember filling up a large water bladder that filled up the ten foot bed in the one ton.  Back in the early 90s it was $1 in Omaha.  Of course water was abundant there.  What is it up to there?

Frank S:

--- Quote from: MattM on June 21, 2021, 11:18:40 PM ---I can remember filling up a large water bladder that filled up the ten foot bed in the one ton.  Back in the early 90s it was $1 in Omaha.  Of course water was abundant there.  What is it up to there?

--- End quote ---
If I haul it myself from the city down spout it costs $14.00 a thousand.
 But I only have 2 300 gallon totes that are suitable for hauling potable water in I keep 1 in the back of my pickup all the time and occasionally will haul both of them. But even at that it would only require 5 trips to town to initially fill the tank to use for back flushing the well with 1 of my 3" trash pumps if I drop a 2" poly line to the bottom of the well the pump will wash any silt and sand up to the surface through the 5" casing.
 Currently water is standing within 25 feet of the surface of the 60 ft well it is silted up to about 45 feet right now . When it was drilled in 1975 they driller did not gravel it in properly, but nothing short of re-drilling it can solve that   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version