Homebrewed Electricity > Controls

Inverter Receptacle

(1/4) > >>

adobejoe:
So I have been using a SAMLEX 1000 watt inverter but want to go larger,  I prefer to just use the attached receptacle, and not have to wire a separate box and breaker panel. There are larger inverters, even 3000 watts, with a receptacle. Would this be okay if I watch my load, like keep it below 20-30 amps?  I was told it is maybe not as efficient or not the right way to use them? Looking at other brands as well.  Exceltech or Cotek?  ideas?

Andy

noneyabussiness:
Not sure what country you are from ( voltage or regs ) or what you mean by a " receptacle " , but here in Australia the maximum your supposed to pull through a " standard " socket is 10 amp... pulled more but wouldn't for long periods ( heck 10 amps she gets pretty warm ),  you can get higher rated plugs but cost does dramatically increase in some cases ...

Bruce S:
This also depends on what you're getting your input voltages from.
Batteries, Fuel powered generator?

I do have a 3000w inverter that has the 110Vac (USA voltage) on them. It works just fine. I only have about 100A of battery fully charged so it would not last long without something behind them.

Give us a little more of how you are getting power to the inverter and what kind of appliances your running on it. We can give better suggestions.

Hope that helps
Bruce S

adobejoe:
Four six volt 420 amp hour wet cells in series, parallel for 12 Vic.  Should be 840 AH and at 50% 420 ah.  Load small refrigerator (apt). Lights tool charger, maybe radio.

noneyabussiness:
So 20-30 amps 12v ???  Is this " receptacle " the dc side or ac side ?? If dc, do the batteries have posts or something else ( special connector requirements , etc)

The loads you describe the 1000w should be plenty,  most higher powered inverters ( if dc " receptacle ") have ether lager ones or multiple ones in parallel..

If ac, depends on whats been stated above... is it 110v or 220v ??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version