Author Topic: new here  (Read 2149 times)

Astro

Re: new here
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2021, 03:55:55 PM »
My last few years tinkering suggests that a less heroic approach, that is taking small loads off more steadily and consistently, seems to work well.

Rgds

Damon

That is pretty much my plan to start with, but I think we all know how this goes. You start with a 6ft mill and 5 years later you are building a 15 footer.

Astro

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2021, 03:57:49 PM »
Im not grid tied, so my data might not help you.

428ah 48v lead acid bank 3kw solar 13' wind turbine that makes 1kw on normal days.

Loads...well pump, fridge, 2 chest freezers, heat recovery ventilator, lights, small tv microwave, induction cooktop when there is power, washing machine, gas dryer, etc

Excess power makes hot water and space heat.  Nothing really gets wasted. 

We are in excellent solar and wind country.  You probably would need twice the storage and solar array in less ideal locations.
You are running a pretty good load and managing it quite well it sounds like. So yeah that gives me a good idea of what is required.

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2021, 04:14:05 AM »
Hi Astro !

I am on my fourth prototype now on VAWTs.

I learned a lot about the McDonnell Aircraft Giromill experiment from the first oil crisis.

(Attachment Link)

There has been a Gyromill on the test field of Energie Anders in Hoek van Holland in The Netherlands about fourty years ago. This one had cyclic change of the blade angle during one revolution to give it a positive starting torque coefficient at low tip speed ratios. It was a rather big 3-bladed rotor with a height and diameter of about 8 m. Has the Gyromill on your photo the same pitch control system?

Astro

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2021, 11:12:21 AM »
Hi Astro !

I am on my fourth prototype now on VAWTs.

I learned a lot about the McDonnell Aircraft Giromill experiment from the first oil crisis.

(Attachment Link)

There has been a Gyromill on the test field of Energie Anders in Hoek van Holland in The Netherlands about fourty years ago. This one had cyclic change of the blade angle during one revolution to give it a positive starting torque coefficient at low tip speed ratios. It was a rather big 3-bladed rotor with a height and diameter of about 8 m. Has the Gyromill on your photo the same pitch control system?

I have a rather simple idea about this subject. I have not given it a great deal of thought yet, as I am going to need to build the mill and get it spinning before I move on to that problem/solution.
 I just do not see why they abandoned the concept as much as they did. When the "problems" seem solvable. My only thought about it is because they realized that vawts are more suited for smaller applications rather then large commercial wind farms. Well there is no money in having everyone producing their own power, now is there.