Author Topic: stacking mags  (Read 2447 times)

Astro

Re: stacking mags
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2021, 11:36:56 AM »
Look, I have my engineering side as well. I think we all do. But one thing I hate about engineers is they have no practical experience. I remember many years ago we were pulling control wires in. The prints called for a 2in conduit and that is what was ran. According to the nec, x amount of wires could be pulled in there. The nec also specs no more then 360 degrees worth of bends, ya da ya da ya da. It was all designed within code and specs. However, I am here to tell you that you would have needed my diesel truck to pull that wire in there and when you did, you would have tore it all to shreds.
From that day forward, I never looked at what an engineer said as fact.
Years latter I was running this job and would bring up things like that on the prints. My boss pulled me aside and said look. do not tell them that. Install it correctly the first time and I am going to tell them we installed according to the prints and now it needs redone. A change order is the term they use.
Back then I thought wow that is messed up. Dishonest.
Now days, I am thinking if he would have threw me some extra money for saving and making him money, maybe I would just keep my mouth shut and live a happy life. I have built everything from schools, to renewable energy plants, to paper mills to gold mines, to re designing and automating WW2 presses used to make the metal parts of car seats to food plants and the challenges that go with that environment. I have worked on just about every machine in a machine shop, designed machines for the computer industry, and done massive paint and curing oven lines (fully automated) from the ground up.
 What can I say, I have ADD and get bored and I am off to learn about something else. Everyone use electricity and so I met a bunch of people and learned a lot about.......everything.
When I was a child, I did not like playing with toys and so mom would cut the cord off an old non working electric can opener, radio or whatever and give me a box of tools and tell me to figure out how it works. I was 3.
So I do appreciate an engineers mind and find it very useful, I just told my wife yesterday, I wish I knew someone who liked to do math, because I am not going to sit around proving things with numbers. I build things, that is what I do. From my head into reality and no stopping off to argue about things for a month first. I run a few equations and numbers through my head and scribble them down and then I am off. Has that led to some not so great builds? Why yes it has, and unlike a classroom or wondering why it did not work because all the numbers say it should, I learned something. I learned that pulling x amount (I can not recall how many) #14 control wires through 200ft of 2in conduit is not going to work, no matter what the numbers say.
I have a couple months into the thought about a wind turbine and now it is just time to build. Enough thinking and more doing.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »
Speaking of pulling wires... I get to pull 2 pieces of 7/8 inch heliax coax and a rotor control line down 65' of 2 1/2 inch conduit.. coax is 1.03 inches nominal with the jacket... and I am considering puling a piece of smaller coax down it too... going to be FULL

Astro

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2021, 03:00:08 PM »
Speaking of pulling wires... I get to pull 2 pieces of 7/8 inch heliax coax and a rotor control line down 65' of 2 1/2 inch conduit.. coax is 1.03 inches nominal with the jacket... and I am considering puling a piece of smaller coax down it too... going to be FULL

She might be a little snug. LOL

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2021, 04:44:17 AM »
Look, I have my engineering side as well. I think we all do. But one thing I hate about engineers is they have no practical experience.

How can you say this. This might be true for some engineers but not for all. I am a mechanical engineer and I have worked almost my whole life as designer of windmills and pumps. As designer, you must make certain calculations to optimize the product which you are designing. To make the proper calculations, you need the formulas which link all the aspects of your design together. So in almost all my KD-reports you will find formulas. But this doesn't mean that I have no practical experience. I have built and tested at least ten wind turbines and many PM-generators. There are people who build wind turbines without the required theoretical background and they make very big mistakes. For a wind turbine this can result in a dangerous construction if it has no proper safety system or if some components are too weak. Many of those wind turbines will not survive a big storm and I have seen severe accidents in the past. So a proper theoretical background is an absolute prerequisite if you want to design a wind turbine. If you don't have this knowledge, you can only build a wind turbine which is designed by someone else but then you must be sure that that the designer had the proper knowledge and that the design has been tested long enough in different conditions.

Astro

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2021, 01:38:39 PM »
Look, I have my engineering side as well. I think we all do. But one thing I hate about engineers is they have no practical experience.

How can you say this. This might be true for some engineers but not for all. I am a mechanical engineer and I have worked almost my whole life as designer of windmills and pumps. As designer, you must make certain calculations to optimize the product which you are designing. To make the proper calculations, you need the formulas which link all the aspects of your design together. So in almost all my KD-reports you will find formulas. But this doesn't mean that I have no practical experience. I have built and tested at least ten wind turbines and many PM-generators. There are people who build wind turbines without the required theoretical background and they make very big mistakes. For a wind turbine this can result in a dangerous construction if it has no proper safety system or if some components are too weak. Many of those wind turbines will not survive a big storm and I have seen severe accidents in the past. So a proper theoretical background is an absolute prerequisite if you want to design a wind turbine. If you don't have this knowledge, you can only build a wind turbine which is designed by someone else but then you must be sure that that the designer had the proper knowledge and that the design has been tested long enough in different conditions.

I am not saying that this is not true, however there are non engineers on this site who have built several wind turbines as well. My point is that when Edison invented the light bulb, he was not just some dummy, yet he had very little post secondary education.
Every design, or action really, has a theory behind it. You became an engineer, because you had a theory it would provide a good living. Or you could help the world, but it still had a theory behind it.
But as you may be well aware of, a theory is only that, an idea or thought. It has to be brought into reality and sometimes, they do not work together. Just because it looks good on paper, does not mean reality is going to co-operate.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2021, 05:48:15 PM »
Mary,
Are there any lubricants to help?

(Oh jeez what have I said?)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2021, 06:21:43 PM »
Ha ha ha !

AparWeb,

Just one look at those cedar blades and your solid gone man!
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2021, 01:56:06 PM »
Mary,
Are there any lubricants to help?

(Oh jeez what have I said?)

I am NOT going there  ;D LMAO

Actually yes there are wire pulling lubes, they are really messy and not something I want contaminating coaxial cable with high RF voltages on it. Helped my dad pull wire on some commercial jobs where we had to use a truck to pull the wires because the conduit buried in concrete was one size to small. Then when they failed from over heating in a year they had to cut the concrete open and replace the conduit with the proper size.

On the one project we tried to get them to replace the conduit before the concrete was poured and the project manager said "It was specced for this by the engineers so do it that way". That one lasted 2 1/2 months then smoke... The project manager then tried to claim the wires were damaged when pulling and took it to court. Dad took a straight and curved piece of conduit to court and showed the wires would go through the straight section just fine but puling them through the corner is where they would get crammed to tight to each other and not cool properly. And he had the change order request for larger conduit with the note from the project manager to do it as is. Ended up costing that guy a bundle in legal fees, dad's salary for the days in court, the company dad worked for had to get lawyers... I helped do that pull and we did it all by hand and when we hit that last tight 90(if they had used a wide sweep it might have survived) we had to struggle to get it the last 5 feet.

Engineers often look at specs and say this will work, ignoring bends that wire has to take!

I am using 45 degree sweeping bends to come up out of the ground! I don't want to damage $8 a foot cable! And I can't splice out a damaged section, the entire 125 foot run(only 65 feet is buried) has to be replaced... at a cost of $1,000... not real high on my list of things to do!

Astro

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2021, 05:42:44 PM »
I remember when fiber optics was just becoming a regularly installed item and bending concentric 90 degree bends out of an entire stick of conduit. We argued with a couple of engineers that the fiber optic cable was bent sharper then that on the reel it came on. Did not matter, that is what they spec'ed. Plus they had us tun 2in pipe for a cable less then an inch in diameter. That I wondered if they were planning for expansion, so whatev. Been a lot of years ago that I ran conduit.

GreenTeam

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2021, 05:55:08 AM »
i have very little experience building.
But, i have read waaay to much. and the big boys that make jennies with high pole counts usually dont use half inch mags. maybe talk in millimeters. 3 mm on average to 5 mm thick and maybe 10 mm wide and 40+ mm long. and as many as 30+ poles per rotor. Also , they are using litz wire and jigs/molds to create the coreless stator. Somwtimes even no matal at all in the magnet rotor. So halbach arrays. I have been having very exciting adult excitarions with the material possibilities . So, go use half inch mags, fight with the thick wire if you like. i may even completely ditch epoxy due to the cost. and use aerosol red insulating varnish. There are also deaigns that water jettted stators out of copper plate.

Astro

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2021, 05:51:03 PM »
i have very little experience building.
But, i have read waaay to much. and the big boys that make jennies with high pole counts usually dont use half inch mags. maybe talk in millimeters. 3 mm on average to 5 mm thick and maybe 10 mm wide and 40+ mm long. and as many as 30+ poles per rotor. Also , they are using litz wire and jigs/molds to create the coreless stator. Somwtimes even no matal at all in the magnet rotor. So halbach arrays. I have been having very exciting adult excitarions with the material possibilities . So, go use half inch mags, fight with the thick wire if you like. i may even completely ditch epoxy due to the cost. and use aerosol red insulating varnish. There are also deaigns that water jettted stators out of copper plate.

The thought of using expanda foam and spray paint had crossed my mind, instead of using epoxy.
Your idea sounds even better.