Homebrewed Electricity > Other

wood gas

<< < (3/4) > >>

Scruff:
Haha deadly!

I found a pic..that wasn't easy.

...I even invented the Electric Wood Burning Stove.

It's a 2kW induction hob. Shore power heater.

Fews days at that. Worked grand too.

Couldn't be listening to a 50hz Stove though. ::)

electrondady1:
your trying  to change one form of of matter (solid) into another form of matter (gas)
 a big energy input is required.
a lot of that energy is going to be lost in the process.
if you could utilize that waste energy, to say, heat your home in winter or make hot water then the wood gas could be thought of as a useful bi-product.
my understanding is a lot of other materials are released in the process and condense into liquids and semi solids like tar. you have to deal with that.

it turns out the earth has been starving for more co2 for a very long time.
at 125ppm all plant life dies. green house operators like to keep levels up around 800-1200 ppm.

Cannabis is legal to grow and consume here in Canada.  i find it useful to plumb  my wine making byproduct (co2), into my grow operation.
two birds, one stone. 
:))

SparWeb:
machinemaker,

Thanks for sharing the experience of your lifestyle and especially how land is managed where you live.
The experience for my wife and I, living in a fairly similar way, also bears some similarities.  We keep horses but we don't pack a dozen of them onto a postage stamp.  Instead we can give them each a couple of acres to graze all year and supplement that with other feed and minerals that usually is produced locally.  We have also learned that horses are evolved to eat very low-grade grasses, and do better if that's all they get, so we can feed them poverty-grass hay and everyone's happy.
This lifestyle comes at a cost which means more driving.  All the conditions are right that I can switch to an electric car, but my current cars are showing no sign of quitting soon.  I can't bear the thought of discarding all of that material just for a "consumer" choice, so I will make sure these things have every last KM driven out of them before switching to an EV.

In terms of heating, I wouldn't consider wood gas because I live on the prairies and my home has already been built with a natural gas furnace.  That said, if I ever have to move, knowing about choices like this might be valuable someday.  Learning about peoples' experiences with various technologies is what I'm here for!

Oh, and don't mind Scruff.  We grit our teeth, too, from time to time.  And Scruff knows it.  Teasing one's mates is a time-honoured tradition among the Irish, so take it as a sign of friendship, next time he pokes you.

bigrockcandymountain:
Hey machinemaker, glad to hear you are into some mob grazing practices etc.  We have been trying to do more if it with our cow herd too, but we are 7 years in to a pretty severe drought and the results are hard to see so far.  It does definitely work though. 

I'm pretty sure i remember a tractor with a big wood gas conveter stove mounted on the side.  I always thought it was a neat idea.  Especially if you were using the tractor to clear bush. 

We heat with wood too and feel good about it.  In large parts of the country, you can either harvest the deadfalls or watch the next wildfire burn them.  I prefer to heat the house with them.  Our house is super insulated, so we only use about a cord a year.

MattM:
I burn off a lot of fallen limbs and pine needles each spring and fall season.  I should probably take an old A-coil and put it over a barrel to heat the pool with it or something.  But otherwise I do it to keep the lawn clear of tinder.  Utilizing this as a resource certainly would be 'green energy'.  So I have a little different view than scruff on the subject.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version