Homebrewed Electricity > Other

wood gas

<< < (2/4) > >>

electrondady1:
i can recall several discussions about wood gas over the years+ photos of peoples systems . it hasn't come up for discussion in quite a while but you might find something if you dig in the archives

Scruff:
Sorry machinemaker...the answer's in your name to my internal question "Why would I?".

I'm all for making things purposeful...ignore my gripe with wood-burning being branded renewable, please. Off-topic. Oh look..my coat.. :-[

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: Scruff on October 21, 2021, 05:09:00 PM ---Sorry machinemaker...the answer's in your name to my internal question "Why would I?".

I'm all for making things purposeful...ignore my gripe with wood-burning being branded renewable, please. Off-topic. Oh look..my coat.. :-[

--- End quote ---
Scruff;
I was wondering where you were going with this. Normally you are pretty open minded with making use of what'cha got.
While burning wood in older wood stove and pot-belly heaters are both inefficient and environmentally dirty and great number of the newer ones (including the mini-burners for Tiny Homes) have come along way to being much better.

I do have to disagree on the CO2 statement though. A dead tree is gonna give up all the stored CO2  whether is does it by burning or decay.

I do agree in principle that wood-burning being renewable. The growing of trees and burning them is CO2 neutral, HOWEVER, that does not say anything about the particulates going up the chimney or the fossil fuels being used to harvest them in mass quantity  :o.

Cheers
Bruce S

machinemaker:
After gritting my teeth and not replying I wanted to state some facts: We have a ten-plus acre wood lot that we let nature have its way. It is great habitat for wildlife and undisturbed plant growth. The little we use this resource is for a walk in nature, gathering mushrooms and wild onions (ramps). Knowing that this is left natural is worth the yearly cost in taxes. I have observed the great number of limbs that fall each year and this would be a part of the wood for this wood gas use. We heat our home with wood that is in another wood lot closer to our home and easier to cart to the house. So when someone tries to tell me that burning wood creates more carbon than the tree absorbed to create it that is wrong! We live in a region of hardwood forests, each year the trees pull carbon out of the air, minerals, and water from the soil to produce wood and leaves. Right now the forest floor has a covering of several inches of leaves. Leaves that are carbon and minerals. They will compost into the soil, effectively sequestering that carbon into the earth. If a tree dies or the annual fall of branches is not removed they too compost into the soil, or become the nutrients for the mushroom we gather. HOW CAN burning a tree release more carbon than it took to create it?
What has even greater carbon sequestration on a per-area basis is not the forests, but the grasslands of our pasture. It is never plowed, grows local native grass species, never chemically fertilized or treated. This pasture is managed for feeding animals and building the soil. We use a grazing plan that some call “mob stock grazing”, the idea is to daily move animals to smaller areas to encourage them to eat a third and trample two-thirds as mulch to build the soil. This along with first grazing cattle, then poultry in movable pens. The cows eat and trample the taller grasses, leaving their manure behind. By moving them each day they have a clean, healthy feed, no parasite build-up, and after grazing the pasture has time to rest and regrow. The poultry in pens follows to spread the manure, eat insects, and the shorter growth the cows can not eat. The sheer volume of grass that grows each year far exceeds the growth of trees or bushes. More than half of the growth, (carbon) is returned to the soil.
Cutting back carbon emissions is a smaller part of helping the environment as opposed to changing the way we live and in particular, how we produce the food we daily eat. Living in rural lands rather than urban and suburban areas is the solution to the environmental impact humans have. In this country according to census data, 80% of the population live on 3% of the land area. This suburban and urban lifestyle is nearly 100% dependent on outside resources. The carbon dioxide that fuels our pasture and forest comes from some urban areas. But we are taxed to provide this for the city dwellers.

Scruff:
Does a turbo make your car more efficient? Yes in theory. No in reality because I can go faster with a turbo. ..it's like that.

Clicky

I just wondered why make a generator with the same or less advantage than one I could buy....I wasn't always like this...less time these days..and jealous of those who have it in a way being honest about it.
There's lots of very good reasons, agreed. Hence me thinking I oughta shudup.

I spent a month designing a thermo-electric generator for watts once upon a time.
Same for wind.
7 years looking for a high fidelity battery charger.
I ain't shy a burnin' dinos myself. Plentya time I poured them into a PA system in a field.

A lot of things we do for local reasons it's our right, we are free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version