Homebrewed Electricity > Storage

Making large PLANTE lead acid Batteries.

<< < (22/22)

clockmanFRA:
2.47 is the charge voltage.

What the amps are for the new from of PLANTE battery 2v cell is not yet exactly defined until the cell is forming stage, then the amperage will slowly need to be advanced until around about 30 to 40 charges and discharges, as the lead dioxide is formed on the surface of each of the 12 cells that are in each 2v battery.

Discharge is also not perfectly defined yet.

So a fair bit of testing to do to correctly form a good lead dioxide that holds well in the surface structure.

clockmanFRA:
New Modern version concept PLANTE.

The PLANTE method forms the lead surface, microscopic level, into a lead dioxide on each charge /discharge.

Subsequent charge /discharge builds up the lead dioxide. 30 to 40 charge/discharges builds sufficient dioxide for the battery to become sufficiently useful for full time use.

However, doing 0.5mm rolled groves into bare 98% pure lead sheet increases the active area of the created lead dioxide by over 100% surface area improvement.

I have, over the decades experimented building 2v lead acid cells. So gained a fair bit of active hands on experience.

Just having a deep grooved lead sheet plates is not helping us achieve a low cost PLANTE battery, so hence me making a judgment of lead sheet thickness for internal strength and support, plus sufficient depth of rolled grooves to form the lead dioxide and offer a larger surface area of the active cell and importantly these groves will hold the active lead dioxide in place.

Again, its getting the variables all to line up to create a cost effective battery that is simple to make by anybody

Eventually our new PLANTE battery will get better and better amp hours and the lead plates slowly all turn to lead dioxide active mush.
In Theory, and others reckon, at my thickness of plates then a 20 year life is expected. Make the lead plated to thick then the dioxide is slower to form.
Again, its the charge rate that is important as the lead dioxide is formed.

Modern IFLA have thick lead matrix plates into which the manufacturers paste the ready formed lead dioxide.
My new modern version of the PLANTE battery won't give the same amp hour output as a IFLA at first.
But because of me doubling the acting surface area of our lead sheet, then amp hour output will be very good compared to a simple standard PLANTE cell.

Modern IFLA thick lead matrix plates for holding the lead dioxide are normally cast formed, so that is just not possible to make simple lead molds for a DIY battery making

Also manufactures hide where and what is actually in the lead dioxide pastes. As i have said before "its chemists delight", and not easy for a DIY build.

Our modern version of the old PLANTE battery dioxide forming and using, should be a big leap forward.

MattM:
Perhaps you need the equivalent of an expanded steel sheet but in lead?
Or maybe would a steel wool equivalent work better?  Lots of surface area I assume is important, but needs to be decently saturated or permeable by the electrolyte medium.

tanner0441:
Hi

I have been reading your post and I am impressed with your perseverance. you roll grooves into the plates to increase surface area and give a key for the lead oxides to adhere to, would sand blasting do the same thing? Careful experimenting with pressure and grit size i would imagine give comparable results.

Brian.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version