Newbies > Newbies

Hello everyone!

(1/3) > >>

Top shelf:
Hi, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself. I'm 46 , live in southern ontario, plumber by trade but also work for a large electrical company.
I supervise luxury built homes but have extensively done almost every facet of home building for the last 27 years( plumbing , electrical, hvac, bricklaying, concrete, roofing, framing, insulating , radiant heating, etc).
I recently have become very interested in energy efficiency and have upped my knowledge game by doing intense research which led me to this site.
After lurking in the background ,i found there to be many less confrontational issues in the general membership here , so i decided to register so i could help others as i learn more myself.
I am new to the RE scene and  since my decision to move 6 hours north of my present location, off grid, i will definitely need a solid knowledge base for that lifestyle.
I will be going with solar electric, solar water heating, passive ground source cooling and rainwater/ snow catchment for the water source if groundwater/ creek water is not available.

I have already drawn up my rough blueprints for my 6-700 sq.ft home and am currently upcycling building materials for my new home from the teardown jobs i do at my current workplace( I'm running out of space to store this stuff!)

There seems to be a very friendly community with MANY knowledgeable people and a great assortment of topics.

Thank you for having me aboard!!

bigrockcandymountain:
Awesome to have you here.  I would love to see details on your super insulated building plans and off grid system.  It's more feasible than most people think and you are 10 steps ahead already having experience in building.

I'm in Saskatchewan and have a self built house and shop, both with 16" thick r60 walls etc.

SparWeb:
Welcome aboard.
Another Canuck?!
We must be doing something right.

I'd also love to see more of your plans.  I have a few napkin sketches of ideas for my next house, too...  always fun to crib notes from other folks.

--- Quote ---if groundwater/ creek water is not available
--- End quote ---

If you haven't chosen a place yet, then it is still uncertain how much the features of the site will bear upon the design of the home and its energy supply/consumption.  Living outside the city myself, though on grid, I am still aware (and keenly thankful for) an excellent water well.  RE or not, factors like this drive the economics and maintenance labour of your home.

--- Quote ---6-700 sq.ft home and am currently upcycling building materials for my new home from the teardown jobs i do at my current workplace( I'm running out of space to store this stuff!)
--- End quote ---

Unassembled, how many square feet does it take to store the materials for a house?  ;)

MagnetJuice:
Welcome!

--- Quote from: Top shelf on November 14, 2021, 03:53:08 PM ---I have extensively done almost every facet of home building for the last 27 years( plumbing , electrical, hvac, bricklaying, concrete, roofing, framing, insulating , radiant heating, etc).

--- End quote ---

WOW!

Welcome aboard. We are here to help one another.

Ed

clockmanFRA:

--- Quote from: Top shelf on November 14, 2021, 03:53:08 PM ---
After lurking in the background ,i found there to be many less confrontational issues in the general membership here , so i decided to register so i could help others as i learn more myself.

There seems to be a very friendly community with MANY knowledgeable people and a great assortment of topics.

Thank you for having me aboard!!

--- End quote ---

Yes, Welcome.

Lots of very intelligent and bright folk on this forum that have very real practical experience. 

Me? I am just a 'mad hatter'.  LOL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version